Subject: [IPP] Clarification of Best Practice Conformance Terminolgy - MUST is allowed

From: Ira McDonald via ipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 16:25:20 -0400

Hi,

Mentioned during our Joint PWG/OP Summit Virtual F2F two weeks ago.
Discussed further on our PWG Steering Committee call today.

Background: Both PWG Requirements documents and PWG Best Practices
documents have always had to go through the same PWG Process steps as
PWG standards-track documents (i.e., WG Last Call, PWG Last Call, and
PWG Formal Vote).

Obviously, PWG Requirements documents need to be able to use MUST
for specific requirements (that constrain future or updated standards-track
specs).  And this has been our existing PWG practice.

Consensus: PWG Best Practice documents can also use MUST (sparsely)
for key requirements (that constrain implementation, deployment, and/or
configuration of standards-track protocols).

Cheers,
- Ira (PWG Secretary)

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG
Co-Chair - TCG Metadata Access Protocol SG
Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WG
Secretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer Working Group
Co-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG Internet Printing Protocol WG
IETF Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIB
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
mailto: [email-masked]
(permanent) PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839  906-494-2434
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp