Subject: [IPP] Fwd: [TLS] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate-04.txt> (Deprecating MD5 and SHA-1 signature hashes in TLS 1.2) to Proposed Standard

From: Ira McDonald via ipp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 15:10:10 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 2:40 PM
Subject: [TLS] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate-04.txt>
(Deprecating MD5 and SHA-1 signature hashes in TLS 1.2) to Proposed Standard
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, <
[email-masked]>

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Layer Security WG (tls)
to
consider the following document: - 'Deprecating MD5 and SHA-1 signature
hashes in TLS 1.2'
  <draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate-04.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2020-10-28. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The MD5 and SHA-1 hashing algorithms are steadily weakening in
   strength and their deprecation process should begin for their use in
   TLS 1.2 digital signatures.  However, this document does not
   deprecate SHA-1 in HMAC for record protection.  This document updates
   RFC 5246 and RFC 7525.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
_______________________________________________
ipp mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.pwg.org/mailman/listinfo/ipp