Subject: [ippm] RFC2679 question on Poisson-Stream

From: Stephen Donnelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 16:41:26 +1300

I apologise for asking a question off the current development track.

RFC2679 defines only one sample metric,
Type-P-One-way-Delay-Poisson-Stream. It specifies that measurements for
this sample metric should be generated from a Poisson process. RFC2330
defines 'Poisson sampling' in terms of an exponential distribution.

So, in order to form a measurement of
Type-P-One-way-Delay-Poisson-Stream, is an exponential distribution for
inter-measurement times required, or can some other distribution be
used, provided that it is documented?

I am a little confused by the comment on P13 on experimanting with other
sampling methods.

Thanks,
 Stephen Donnelly.
-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Stephen Donnelly (BCMS)             email: [email-masked]
    WAND Group                      Room GG.15 phone +64 7 838 4086
    Computer Science Department, University of Waikato, New Zealand
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm