Subject: RE: [ippm] DSCP vs. PHB descriptor in OWDP

From: "Geib, Ruediger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 08:18:33 +0100

> Stanislav Shalunov wrote

> Would you like to go into detail in re space needed for expressing a
> globally well-known service, and where should we refer for a list?
> (Wishful thinking.)  What do you think should we do?

To me a two bit indicator (indicating the trailor to be either DSCP, PHB ore
service) followed by a 16 bit trailor seems to be ok. If you don't care
about coding space, a single 32 bit word (which may only be partially used
by now) seems perfect to me.

I have to decline on suggestions of globally well known services. Maybe the
settings for the globally well known service should get the status
"experimental". I think field trials have to be performed to validate the
few services defined today (QBone Premium, Virtual Wire, ITU's and some
others currently under construction). Once the community has the feeling, a
service gets globally well known, an IPPM measurement code point (or a
general "Per Domain Behaviour ID") should be specified.

Regards, Rüdiger
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm