Subject: [Fwd: [ippm] draft-ietf-ippm-owdp-reqs-01.txt: last comments before IETF52]

From: Victor Reijs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 16:52:01 +0000

Hello Stanislav,

Thanks for the phone call we had on my issues with regard to the OWAMP. 
I now much better understand where you are coming from in the OWAMP
document.

The thought I had was that I would be able to download test to the
points that do the measurements. I now understand that the basic
measurement done in OWAMP is time stamping of packets incoming and
outgoing. These times stamps will sent to the host that provided the
schedule of packets and then that host will evaluated the time stamping.
The host can now do anything it likes (determine: OWD, IPDV, OWPL,
etc.).

So no intelligence is needed at the points that do the measurements.
That makes any need of downloading code/script unnecessary. 
I was more thinking in having more intelligent points (like in Chariot).
Downloading scripts/code would reduce the amount of data send as
compared to a generic OWAMP point, but then indeed you have these issues
of: security, no standard for coding, etc.

I think that the proposed OWAMP can indeed work (together with the help
of the evaluation in a host). I will now reread the paper in more detail
with this new understanding.

Thanks for the explanations gotten!

All the best,

Victor
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm