Subject: [ippm] I-D ACTION:draft-jeong-1way-delay-ipv6-source-routing-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 06:22:55 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: One-way Delay Measurement using IPv6 Source Routing
	Author(s)	: J. Jeong et al.
	Filename	: draft-jeong-1way-delay-ipv6-source-routing-00.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 22-Feb-02
	
This document specifies a methodology for measurement of the IETF
IPPM WG's one-way IP performance metrics such as one-way delay and
jitter of subpaths consisting of a specific end-to-end path in IPv6
network as well as end-to-end one-way IP performance metrics.  The
methodology measures one-way IP performance metrics in use of IPv6
source routing through IPv6 extension headers. Because the
methodology can contribute to the finding of congested link or
underutilized link, it can provide important information to
configure and manage IPv6 network.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jeong-1way-delay-ipv6-source-routing-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-jeong-1way-delay-ipv6-source-routing-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-jeong-1way-delay-ipv6-source-routing-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: stanislav shalunov <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Feb 2002 11:33:20 -0500

This draft appears to define a new IPv6 option to record timestamps as
a packet goes past IPv6 routers.  Is this method better than IPMP or
is this just another way of doing the same thing that IPMP does?

-- 
Stanislav Shalunov		http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

But we must show them that they cannot terrorize the greatest nation on
the face of the Earth.  And we won't.       -- George W. Bush, 20011017
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: Matthew Luckie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:15:35 -0800 (PST)

> is this just another way of doing the same thing that IPMP does?

it is an interesting approach given that it uses the IPv6 routing
header.  there are likely to be other IPv6 hacks useful for measurement.

a limitation of this approach is that you need to know a forward path in
advance to use a routing header, which is a somewhat contrived way of
doing an IPMP-style measurement, and probably won't help you detect route
changes.