Subject: [ippm] CFP for Special Issue Computer Networks (Elsevier) on Wireless Sensor Networks

From: "Erdal CAYIRCI" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2002 08:37:27 +0300

Dear Colleague,

Enclosed below and attached please find the Call for Papers for the Special
Issue Computer Networks (Elsevier) on Wireless Sensor networks. We apologize
if you received multiple copies of this Call for Papers. Please feel free to
distribute it.

Best regards,

Erdal Cayirci
GaTech

Ramesh Govindan
ICSI

Taieb Znati
NSF

Mani Srivastava
UCLA

====================================================

CALL FOR PAPERS
Special Issue Computer Networks (Elsevier) on "Wireless Sensor Networks"

Recent advances in digital electronics, embedded systems and wireless
communications are leading the way to a new class of distributed wireless
sensor networks. These networks have a wide range of potential applications,
including security and surveillance, control, actuation and maintenance of
complex systems, and fine-grain monitoring of indoor and outdoor
environments.

Sensor networks differ from conventional network systems in many aspects.
They usually involve a large number of spatially distributed,
energy-constrained, self-configuring and self-aware nodes. Furthermore, they
tend to be autonomous and require a high degree of cooperation and
adaptation to perform the desired coordinated tasks and networking
functionalities. As such, they bring about new challenges and design
considerations, which go much beyond conventional network systems.

This special issue of Computer Networks is intended to foster the
dissemination of high quality research in communication protocols, data
management and access techniques, and applications of wireless sensor
networks. We hope that the resulting issue will significantly advance our
understanding of this nascent area of research.

Only technical papers describing previously unpublished, original,
state-of-art research, and not currently under review by another conference
or journal, will be considered. We solicit papers covering a variety of
topics related to wireless sensor networks including, but not limited to:

- Novel applications of sensor networks for surveillance, fine-grain
instrumentation, and actuation
- New sensor network communication architectures
- Software platforms and tools for sensor network application development
- Energy-efficient media access, error control, and traffic management
- Energy-efficient systems services such as localization and time
synchronization
- Scalable, and energy-efficient, data-dissemination schemes
- Robust distributed algorithms for collaborative processing
- Mechanisms for authenticated, secure communication
- Modeling and performance evaluation of large-scale sensor network
algorithms
- Application specific network and systems services, including data-centric
routing, attribute-based addressing, and location management

Authors should follow the Computer Networks (Elsevier) manuscript format
described at http://www.elsevier.nl/locate/compnw. Prospective authors
should submit a PDF version of their complete manuscript according to the
following timetable to: [email-masked]

Manuscript Due: October 15, 2002
Acceptance Notification: January 14, 2003
Final Manuscript Due: March 11, 2003
Publication Date: August 2003

Erdal Cayirci
BWN Lab.
Sch. of Elec.&Comp. Eng.
Georgia Inst. of Tech.
Atlanta, GA 30332
[email-masked]

Ramesh Govindan
International Comp. Sci. Inst.
Berkeley, CA 94704-1198
[email-masked]

Taieb Znati
Div. of Adv. Net. Inf. & Res.
The Nat. Science Foundation
Arlington, VA 22230
[email-masked]

Mani Srivastava
Elec. Eng. Department
UCLA
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1594
[email-masked]