Subject: [ippm] Synchonization state: 'initializing'

From: "STEPHAN Emile FTRD/DAC/LAN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:41:50 +0200

Henk, others,

	Management systems need generic state to decide when the measure issued from the probes may be used or not to compute trustable results.

the 'initializing' state is generic enough to describe that they are not yet synchrnized and that they consider to gain the synchronized state soon. 

The 'fail' state may be usesul to provide to the system of measure with the fact that the after a while the 'synchronized' state has not be reach and that perhaps the GPS signal does not reach the probe.

regards
emile

---

From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE-NCC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 21:03:28 +0200 (CEST)

Emile,

> 	Management systems need generic state to decide when the measure
> issued from the probes may be used or not to compute trustable results.
>
> the 'initializing' state is generic enough to describe that they are not
> yet synchrnized and that they consider to gain the synchronized state
> soon.

Define "soon".  Depending on conditions, the various GPS clock can
initialize in a few minutes to half an hour (and it might take longer to
synchronize the PC clock).  Now, suppose I have such hardware and want to
do an operation measurement now, what does init tell me?

> The 'fail' state may be usesul to provide to the system of measure with
> the fact that the after a while the 'synchronized' state has not be
> reach and that perhaps the GPS signal does not reach the probe.

For a reporting system, I think it is sufficient to monitor "synchronized"
over time, if a clock is unsynchronized for a long time, then one has to
log in to the device and look at what is going wrong. (For example, has
somebody unplugged a cable, switched of the power supply, did lightning
struck, did somebody trip over the antenna while doing repair works on the
roof). A single bit doesn't tell you anything useful here,

Henk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                    Email: [email-masked]
RIPE Network Coordination Centre     WWW: http://www.ripe.net/home/henk
Singel 258                         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1016 AB Amsterdam                    Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands                   Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That problem that we weren't having yesterday, is it better? (Big ISP NOC)

NOTE: My email address (and a hole in our mailing list software) is being
      abused by a spammer.  We are working on fixing this hole and tracking
      the spammer down.  If you receive mail from "[email-masked]" that is
      obviously spam, please send me a copy of the mail including ALL headers.
      I'm sorry for any inconvenience caused by this.

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm