Subject: Re: [ippm] test packet size over IP network

From: Victor Reijs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:21:03 +0100

Hello Balaji,

"Balaji H. Kasal" wrote:
> 
> Dear friends,
> 
>    There is no single packet size which can be used for measurement, bec'
> of large variation in packet sizes in Internet.
>    To study true application performance one should use different packet
> sizes and find out the distribution. (That was most appl does...
> streaming...)
>    Ofcourse, it is not smart to probe large packets of different sizes for
> measurement. One can findout "optimal" packet size for measurement. We can
> define "optimal" packet size which represents (almost... median???)
> overall distribution.

A possible candidate I would say is the average IP packet size:
somewhere around 240 Bytes.
But all the other remarks I support, though I would rather see
the average size then another pick and choose size; like a small
size (12 Bytes or 100 Bytes).
Related to this, when determining the 'BTC', one 'normally uses
the RTT'. But I also question: Which datagram size? It happens
that 64 Bytes seems to provide a nice result for determining the
BTC...
So in that case perhaps 64 Bytes sounds oke... (so I woudl chose
between 64 Bytes and the average size). Perhaps one needs
multiple size, so that one can determine the formula of Henk.

All the best,

Victor
-- 
PGP public key:
http://www.heanet.ie/heanet/projects/nat_infrastruct/pubkey.html
H.323 GDS: <exit-zone>+00353 01101001
H.323 ViDiNet: <exit-zone>+61330060909 01101001
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: "Balaji H. Kasal" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 14:32:46 +0530 (IST)

Hello Victor,

> somewhere around 240 Bytes.

   How did you come with this 240 byte number. Did u have dome extensive 
experimanets? Please let me know.

Thanx...

--Balaji

-- 
Regards,
--Balaji

---

From: Victor Reijs <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:45:03 +0100

Hello Kasal,

> experimanets? Please let me know.

http://www.surfnet.nl/surfnet/persons/reijs/sn4/atmcalc.htm

No real extensive experiments. I used a few files from the
internet. See also above link. The 'average' size will vary of
course...

All the best,

Victor