Subject: Re: [ippm] Synchonization state: 'initializing'

From: stanislav shalunov <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Aug 2002 03:51:48 -0400

"STEPHAN Emile FTRD/DAC/LAN" <[email-masked]> writes:

> 	Management systems need generic state to decide when the
> measure issued = from the probes may be used or not to compute
> trustable results.
> 
> the 'initializing' state is generic enough to describe that they are
> not = yet synchrnized and that they consider to gain the
> synchronized state = soon.=20

How soon?

If I was getting the time from my GPS card and I am in the process of
switching to a stratum 1 backup because the window is temporarily
blocked, am I `initializing'?

If I only can get time from my GPS card, boot up and start up ntpd,
but the antenna is disconnected, am I `initializing'?  It might take
me a day or two to synchronize.

-- 
Stanislav Shalunov		http://www.internet2.edu/~shalunov/

"Which one is worse?  Both are worse."		-- V. I. Lenin
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailhost.advanced.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm