Subject: [ippm] script mib issues

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:10:50 +0200 (added by [email-masked])

Hi - 

Gentle reminder: 
There is a list of open issues in the current script MIB draft, 
<draft-ietf-disman-script-mib-02.txt>   Comments are needed.

>    o    Can we use the Meta-Variables defined in the disman MIB to make
>         script results accessible via SNMP?
> 
>    o    This draft should adopt the terminology defined in the DISMAN
>         framework.
> 
>    o    The error states should be explained. It might be useful to join
>         the error definitions into a textual convention for this
>         purpose.
> 
>    o    Does it make sense to define compliance statements that allow an
>         implementor to skip the smCodeTable?
> 
>    o    Should the script MIB support/require the concept of suspending
>         and resuming script execution?
> 
>    o    Should the smCodeIndex be of type OBJECT IDENTIFIER instead of
>         INTEGER to allow arbitrary insertions without renumbering?
> 
>    o    Setting smLauchStart to 0 will start the script with a self
>         generated PID value?
> 
>    o    Should the language index be replaced by a pointer to the
>         language, which can be 0? This would allow to use the MIB to
>         start/stop hard-wired build-in management functions and it will
>         simplify the indexing scheme.
> 
>    o    Replace the OwnerString attribute with an index suitable for
>         SNMPv3 view-based access control.
> 
>    o    Add text to explain how to configure MIB views properly to the
>         security considerations section.
> 
>    o    Include David's tables that explains when a script is available
>         in the smCodeTable and when it is read/written from/to NV
>         storage.
> 

 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
 Randy Presuhn            BMC Software, Inc. (Silicon Valley Division)
 Voice: +1 408 556-0720   (Formerly PEER Networks)  http://www.bmc.com
 Fax:   +1 408 556-0735   1190 Saratoga Avenue, Suite 130
 Email: [email-masked]  San Jose, California 95129-3433  USA
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------
 In accordance with the BMC Communications Systems Use and Security
 Policy memo dated December 10, 1996, page 2, item (g) (the first of
 two), I explicitly state that although my affiliation with BMC may be
 apparent, implied, or provided, my opinions are not necessarily those
 of BMC Software and that all external representations on behalf of
 BMC must first be cleared with a member of "the top management team."
 ---------------------------------------------------------------------