Subject: [ippm] The next steps for the reordering drafts.

From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE NCC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 01:42:36 +0200 (CEST)

IPPM group,

Following the IPPM WG meeting in San Diego, the chairs of the WG met with
(some of) the authors of the 2 reordering metrics currently under
discussion in the IPPM WG, in order to discuss the next steps. The drafts
are:

 draft #1: draft-ietf-ippm-reordering-06.txt
 draft #2: draft-jayasumana-reorder-density-03.txt

We agreed that merging the 2 drafts will be close to impossible due to
differences in the basic definitions.  We also concluded that both drafts
contain metrics that are relevant for applications that have to deal with
reordering.  However, in this area, more study is needed for the second
draft.  This research is in progress.

We think that the best way forward is:

 1. Add a statement to the introduction of the first draft saying that
    the current metrics are limited to those that provide some
    clear insight into network characterization or receiver design,
    and are not likely to be exhaustive in their coverage of the
    applications with respect to packet reordering effects. Likewise,
    additional measurements may be possible.
 2. Finalize the first draft and publish as a standard track RFC
 3. Suggest to the WG to take the second draft up as a WG item.
 4. When the research related to the second draft is done, publish the
    second draft as either an experimental RFC, or as a followup
    to the first RFC.

For technical details regarding this discussion, please refer to earlier
postings.

Comments to the list please,

Henk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Process and Procedure are the last hiding place of people without the wit
and wisdom to do their job properly.                          (David Brent).

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: "Henk Uijterwaal (RIPE NCC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 01:46:34 +0200 (CEST)

IPPM group,

After Monday's call for an editor for the bandwidth draft, Phil Chimento
<philip.chimento(at)jhuapl.edu> has voluntered for the job.

Henk