Subject: [ippm] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ippm-reordering-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 15:24:39 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Packet Reordering Metric for IPPM
	Author(s)	: A. Morton, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ippm-reordering-09.txt
	Pages		: 38
	Date		: 2005-2-18
	
This memo defines metrics to evaluate if a network has maintained
   packet order on a packet-by-packet basis. It provides motivations
   for the new metrics and discusses the measurement issues. The memo
   first defines a reordered singleton, and then uses it as the basis
   for sample metrics to quantify the extent of reordering in several
   useful dimensions for network characterization or receiver design.
   Additional metrics quantify the frequency of reordering and the
   distance between separate occurrences. We then define a metric with
   purely receiver analysis orientation. Several examples of evaluation
   using the various sample metrics are included. An Appendix gives
   extended definitions for evaluating order with packet fragmentation.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-reordering-09.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ippm-reordering-09.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-reordering-09.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:12:55 -0500

At 03:24 PM 02/18/2005, [email-masked] wrote:
>...

This version addresses all comments from the recent WG Last Call
(Mark Allman's sent his to the list, Vern Paxson and Phil Chimento
sent comments directly to me and the Chairs).

There were only a few instances where I thought there was a
justification to deviate from the suggested changes. For example:

At 04:53 PM 01/25/2005, Mark Allman wrote:
>Section 3.2:
>
>   * This just doesn't look like it was buffed to talk about only message
>     numbers (and not bytes or time).  E.g., the definition of NextExp is
>     bogus.  And, it would seem as if SrcByte and PayloadSize and SrcTime
>     should be noted as optional.

The singleton definitions for Loss, Delay, and IPDV metrics
all refer to wire time at the Source. So, rather than make
SrcTime optional, I made it an explicit aspect of the singleton
definition, to be consistent with the other singletons.
SrcByte and PayloadSize are optional parameters now.

There was another case where two comments conflicted to some degree
(add general requirements for sequence unique sequence identification
vs. use of message numbering only).  I've implemented one possible
balance between these comments in the text of section 3.

There's a new section 2.3 "Required Context for all Reordering Metrics",
and several reminders to report all the stream parameters. This section
embellishes material that was distributed throughout the text and moves
it up front, for more emphasis.

Rather than type out all the changes, it's certainly more efficient
to point to a diff version:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/ippm/reordering/draft-ietf-ippm-reordering-09-from-08.diff.html

We've already found some minor things to revise, but folks who commented
should certainly look 09 over to see if the changes satisfy.
We can discuss further on the list or during the IPPM session at -62.

regards,
Al