Subject: [ippm] Comments on draft-niccolini-ippm-storetraceroutes-00

From: Luca Deri <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:59:48 +0200

Hi all,
I would like to share with you my comments to the above draft.

First of all I think that this work is useful and that it similar 
efforts are welcome. However I see a couple of issues that I would like 
to be addressed in future version of this draft:

- The authors start with a survey of the available traceroute tools on 
some popular platforms. Although this could be a good idea, it has the 
problem that this work is platform dependent nad that it will likely be 
obsoleted soon. Some years ago RIPE wrote a tool to be used as reference 
tool for DNS query. I think that it should be discussed whether it makes 
sense to develop such a cross-platform tool (or base it on some open 
source tools) and use it as reference for the draft.

- Many modern networks are based on MPLS. I don't see how the MPLS 
labels fit into the draft. For instance the Linux traceroute tool shows 
MPLS labels as you can see below.
 1 gw-vlan759.nexicom.net (216.168.111.185) 4 msec 0 msec 4 msec
 2 gw-7513.nexicom.net (216.168.96.1) 160 msec 8 msec 0 msec
 3 dis1-toronto63-fe1-5-14.in.bellnexxia.net (206.108.110.221) 8 msec 4 
msec 4 msec
 4 core2-toronto63-pos1-2.in.bellnexxia.net (206.108.98.125) 8 msec 4 
msec 8 msec
 5 64.230.242.105 [MPLS: Label 12903 Exp 0] 176 msec 64 msec 8 msec
 6 64.230.242.181 [MPLS: Label 12905 Exp 0] 4 msec 44 msec 200 msec
 7 64.230.242.198 [MPLS: Label 12473 Exp 0] 8 msec 4 msec 4 msec
 8 dis1-toronto12-pos6-0.in.bellnexxia.net (206.108.97.70) 8 msec 4 msec 
4 msec
 9 206.108.111.106 8 msec 4 msec 8 msec
10 10.78.254.125 8 msec 8 msec 4 msec
11 10.78.254.8 12 msec 8 msec 4 msec
12 129.33.183.72 8 msec 4 msec 8 msec
13  *  *  *
14  *  *  *

Cheers, Luca

-- 
Luca Deri <[email-masked]>	http://luca.ntop.org/
Hacker: someone who loves to program and enjoys being
clever about it - Richard Stallman

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm