Subject: [ippm] Capacity Issue 02: Interval Specification and Boundary

From: Joseph Ishac <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 15:28:25 -0400

2. Interval Specification and Boundary

Currently, specification of the interval in the draft is vague in regard
to what exactly the times T and I refer to and where they are measured
from.  The intent was that they are both measured at the receiver, where
T is the start of an interval that lasts I units of time.  Measuring
from the receiver alleviates the concern for packets in flight and
propagation delay.  Thus, T does not specify a time at the sender S
(such as the start of a transmission).

Another issue was bounding the interval such that it falls on a packet
boundary.  Currently, no such restriction is in place.  My opinion is
that such a concern is very implementation specific.  One logical
implementation choice would be to start and stop measuring at packet
boundaries.  Perhaps a little text should be added stating that doing
that would be a good idea?

Please send thoughts to the list, as we will use the discussion to
sharpen up the definitions so that they are clearer.

-Joseph

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm