Subject: RE: [ippm] Composition of Metrics

From: Lei Liang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:00:08 +0100

Hi, Al,
  I just got time to go through the composition metrics draft. Got some
comments here. 
  The inaccuracy might be also caused by interdomain routing choices
additional to the intro-domain ones. Doing the sub-path measurement for
each domain might conceal the complete path when there are multipath to
choose from the source to the final destination via several domains. for
example, the packet can go to the final destination via domain 1, 2 to
3. it may also travel through domain 1, 4 to 3. Therefore, the
sub-measurement carried out at the same time interval does not solve the
path problem. 
Also, the gateway functions between domains may also address inaccuracy.
E.g., multiplexing, translation, deconding and encoding will all put
costs to the complete measurement result.
  I also got a question here that you might help. Why don't just send
the packets from the source to the final destination and collect the
sub-path results on the way?

Cheers,
Lei

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm