Subject: [ippm] CFP -- IEEE JSAC Sampling The Internet: Techniques and Applications

From: "Iannaccone, Gianluca" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 14:09:57 +0100

Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this email. 

All information can be found at
http://www.argreenhouse.com/society/J-SAC/Calls/sampling_internet.html.

Deadline for manuscript submission: OCTOBER 1, 2005.

=======================================================
	
CALL FOR PAPERS
IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 
SAMPLING THE INTERNET: TECHNIQUES AND APPLICATIONS

Scope

As the Internet continues to grow rapidly in size and complexity, 
it has become increasingly clear that its evolution is closely 
tied to a detailed understanding of network traffic. Network traffic 
measurements are invaluable for a wide range of tasks such as network 
capacity planning, traffic engineering, fault diagnosis, application 
and protocol performance profiling, and anomaly detection.

This large and diverse set of applications raises the question of 
how to monitor the Internet in an efficient and scalable way. In the 
case of active monitoring (where probe packets are sent across the 
network to infer specific properties) the scalability issue arises 
from the size of the Internet and the potentially large number of 
end systems that one needs to instrument, as well as the number of 
probing experiments that one must conduct.

Intuitively, sampling is an essential component of scalable Internet
monitoring. Broadly speaking, sampling is the process of making 
partial observations of a system of interest, and drawing conclusions 
about the full behaviour of the system from these limited observations. 
The observation problem is concerned with minimising information loss 
whilst reducing the volume of collected data. It is this reduction 
that makes the collection process scalable. The way in which the 
partial information is transformed into knowledge of the system as 
a whole is the inversion problem. The inversion is in general 
imperfect and error-prone.

The aim of this issue is to bring together work from researchers 
and practitioners devoted to the understanding of the practical and 
theoretical issues related to all aspects of sampling the Internet. 
In this context, sampling may take various forms. A classic example 
is to observe only a subset of the packets carried over a link, and
then estimate traffic parameters which apply to all packets. 
Alternatively, one could target a subset of routers with packet 
probes in order to infer network characteristics such as the 
topology or routing matrix. 

Examples abound from a wide variety of application areas within 
Internet measurement, management, and analysis. Independent of 
subject area, papers will be in scope if they focus substantially 
on the sampling aspects of the problem under study, for example by 
exploring the tradeoff between observation and inversion processes, 
revealing the limitations of inversion techniques, analysing their 
properties, or proposing new ones, or by providing new insights by 
explicitly recognizing the impact of implicit sampling in many 
measurement studies.

Topics of interest include (but are not limited to):

- Sampling and inverting traffic metrics with passive or active systems.
- Internet end-to-end measurements seen from a sampling standpoint.
- Sampling aspects of network topology inference.
- Impact of sampling on anomaly detection.
- Mechanisms for sampling live Internet traffic or collected traces.
- Theoretical studies of the sampling/inversion problem 
  (e.g., accuracy, complexity).
- Distributed and adaptive sampling techniques.
- New sampling methods.

Submission guidelines

Authors should follow the IEEE J-SAC manuscript format described 
in the Information for Authors. There will be one round of reviews 
and acceptance will be limited to papers needing only moderate revisions. 
Prospective authors should submit a PDF version of their complete 
manuscript via email to jsac-sampling at sophia.inria.fr according to 
the following timetable: 

Manuscript submission: October 1, 2005
Acceptance notification: March 1, 2006
Final manuscript due: June 1, 2006
Publication: 4th quarter 2006

Guest Editors  

Chadi Barakat
INRIA Planète group
2004, route des Lucioles
06902 Sophia Antipolis
France
Chadi.Barakat at sophia.inria.fr

Gianluca Iannaccone
Intel Research
15 JJ Thomson Avenue
Cambridge CB3 0FD
United Kingdom
gianluca.iannaccone at intel.com

Jim Kurose
Department of Computer Science  
University of Massachusetts  
Amherst MA 01003 
United States
kurose at cs.umass.edu 

Darryl Veitch
CUBIN (ARC Special Research Ctr)
Department of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
University of Melbourne
Victoria 3010
Australia
dveitch at unimelb.edu.au

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm