Subject: [ippm] Response to the relation between ByteOffset metric and RBD

From: "Nischal M. Piratla" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 16:55:48 -0600

The reordering ppt slides' discussion as per unofficial minutes of IPPM 
attempts to show that  ByteOffset metric is different from RBD.

The comparison of ByteOffset and RBD are presented in the attached 
slides. Of course, we have to normalize with respect to the same value 
for comparison. We use the number of packets for normalization.

For most sequences including the example that Al showed at IPPM meeting, 
the relation between ByteOffset metric and RBD metric reduces to the 
following simple expression:

ByteOffset[i] = (RBD[i] - RBD[i+1]) in bytes

In addition, draft-10 of ippm-reordering metrics states:
"A sample's ByteOffset results may be expressed as a histogram, to 
summarize the frequency of buffer lengths needed to accommodate 
reordered packets and permit buffer tuning on that basis. A CDF WITH 
BUFFER SIZE vs. PERCENT OF REORDERED PACKETS ACCOMMODATED MAY BE 
INFORMATIVE."

This is nothing but 'RBD', as illustrated in the above expression. This 
is what we've been saying all along...
_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm