Subject: [ippm] Protocol Action: 'Packet Reordering Metric for IPPM' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 17:56:05 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Packet Reordering Metric for IPPM '
   <draft-ietf-ippm-reordering-13.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lars Eggert and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-reordering-13.txt

Technical Summary
 
   This memo defines metrics to evaluate if a network has maintained 
   packet order on a packet-by-packet basis. It provides motivations 
   for the new metrics and discusses the measurement issues, including 
   the context information required for all metrics. The memo first 
   defines a reordered singleton, and then uses it as the basis for 
   sample metrics to quantify the extent of reordering in several 
   useful dimensions for network characterization or receiver design. 
   Additional metrics quantify the frequency of reordering and the 
   distance between separate occurrences. It then defines a metric 
   oriented toward assessing reordering effects on TCP. 

Working Group Summary
 
 The concepts behind the draft have been discussed since 2001,
 resulting in a number of individual submission drafts which were
 merged into this draft.  This draft has been discussed for several
 years, it has been stable for about a year now.  Reviews were done
 by a number of key people in the group.

Protocol Quality
 
 PROTO shepherd: Henk Uijterwaal ([email-masked])

 Lars Eggert reviewed this spec for the IESG.

 The main comment during IETF LC was a completely revised IANA
 considerations section. Version -13 has addressed the concerns raised
 during the IESG review.

Note to RFC Editor

 Need to replace "RFC xxxx" with the number this RFC receives upon publication.

 Section 2, first paragraph: replace reference to RFC2640 to RFC2460
 OLD:
   Ordered arrival is a property found in packets that transit their 
   path, where the packet sequence number increases with each new 
   arrival and there are no backward steps. The Internet Protocol 
   [RFC791] [RFC2640] has no mechanisms to assure either packet 
 NEW:
   Ordered arrival is a property found in packets that transit their 
   path, where the packet sequence number increases with each new 
   arrival and there are no backward steps. The Internet Protocol 
   [RFC791] [RFC2460] has no mechanisms to assure either packet 
             ^^^^^^^

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 18:24:54 -0400

>    <draft-ietf-ippm-reordering-13.txt> as a Proposed Standard

Congratulations! And thanks again to the authors for doing a great  
job following up to the IESG's comments!

Lars
-- 
Lars Eggert                                     NEC Network Laboratories