Subject: [ippm] application identification bar bof

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 12:41:38 -0400

Lots of people have asked, so here are several bullets from the IMRG
bar BOF about possibly thinking about application identification
within the RG in some fashion:

  * A few areas are interested in this: 

      general knowledge about what is traversing a network
        (understanding, trending, modeling, etc.)
      security - in terms of traffic analysis
      determining which flows to apply which QoS mechanisms to
        (e.g., rate-limit p2p traffic)
      security - in terms of intrusion detection systems attempting
        to find attacks

  * Consensus was that a first workshop that was quite lightweight
    would be a reasonable first step.  Open call for one page talk
    descriptions would be the ticket to entry.  Small-ish yet
    diverse crowd (need people from measurement, signal processing,
    security, etc.).

  * A second workshop that was more formal (possibly with papers)
    could also be considered on a longer time-scale.

  * My action item was to puzzle through some of the initial
    logistics of a workshop and get an organizing committee formed
    up.

Additional opinions on any of the above, or anything not included in
the above would certainly be welcome.

allman

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm