Subject: [ippm] a question on 'speeds'

From: "Victor Reijs (work)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 13:50:26 +0100

Hello all of you,

Is there a good reference to the definition of the words: bandwidth, 
rate, capacity, speed?
In some way I want to put in a document a few things:
. the actual bit/s a user can sent of the link: Here Available 
Bandwidth, Bottleneck bandwidth but also bulk transfer capacity (tcp) 
come into thought. But what is the best word here?
. we have an interface speed, so something that is physically determined 
by a clock speed). Is that speed or rate or ???

Any help in finding defined terms can help me.

Thanks.

All the best,

Victor

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 09:45:57 -0400

>Is there a good reference to the definition of the words: bandwidth, 

This draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-bw-capacity-04.txt

and its references should give you a start.
Al

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 15:14:28 +0200

On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 01:50:26PM +0100,
 Victor Reijs (work) <[email-masked]> wrote 

> Is there a good reference to the definition of the words: bandwidth,

"speed" should be banned because it is often used for talking about
the throughput per second ("bandwidth" or "capacity") as well as for
the travel time ("latency"), which are two very different things.

"bandwidth" has a poor etymology (it comes from the analog world and
is typically meaningless in the digital Internet) but, apart from
that, I regard it as acceptable.

---

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 07:45:27 +0200

Philip F. Chimento Jr. wrote:
> Hi Victor:
> You are right, of course, but (perhaps Henk can comment on this) I 
> believe that our charter is limited to IP. 

Yes, the IP in IPPM stands for IP ;-)

Henk

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# Lawyer: "Now sir, I'm sure you are an intelligent and honest man--"
# Witness: "Thank you. If I weren't under oath, I'd return the compliment."