Subject: [ippm] Efficient Network-wide SLA Compliance Monitoring | CCR online

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:31:29 +0900

Hi,

there was an interesting talk at SIGCOMM today that may be of note to  
IPPM:

Efficient Network-wide SLA Compliance Monitoring

Joel Sommers, Paul Barford (University of Wisconsin), Nick Duffield  
(AT&T Labs), Amos Ron (University of Wisconsin)

Service level agreements (SLAs) define performance guarantees made by  
service providers, e.g, in terms of packet loss, delay, delay  
variation, and network availability. In this paper, we describe a new  
active measurement methodology to accurately monitor whether measured  
network path characteristics are in compliance with performance  
targets specified in SLAs. Specifically, (1) we describe a new  
methodology for estimating packet loss rate that significantly  
improves accuracy over existing approaches; (2) we introduce a new  
methodology for measuring mean delay along a path that improves  
accuracy over existing methodologies, and propose a method for  
obtaining confidence intervals on quantiles of the empirical delay  
distribution without making any assumption about the true  
distribution of delay; (3) we introduce a new methodology for  
measuring delay variation that is more robust than prior techniques;  
and (4) we extend existing work in network performance tomography to  
infer lower bounds on the quantiles of a distribution of performance  
measures along an unmeasured path given measurements from a subset of  
paths. We unify active measurements for these metrics in a discrete  
time-based tool called SLAM. The unified probe stream from SLAM  
consumes lower overall bandwidth than if individual streams are used  
to measure path properties. We demonstrate the accuracy and  
convergence properties of SLAM in a controlled laboratory environment  
using a range of background traffic scenarios and in one- and two-hop  
settings, and examine its accuracy improvements over existing  
standard techniques.

http://www.sigcomm.org/ccr/drupal/?q=node/251

Lars

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked] 
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm