Subject: [ippm] Document Action: 'Packet Delay Variation Applicability Statement' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:19:38 -0800 (PST)

- 'Packet Delay Variation Applicability Statement '
   <draft-ietf-ippm-delay-var-as-02.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Lars Eggert and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-delay-var-as-02.txt

Technical Summary

Packet delay variation metrics appear in many different standards
documents.  The metric definition in RFC 3393 has considerable
flexibility, and it allows multiple formulations of delay variation
through the specification of different packet selection functions.
Although flexibility provides wide coverage and room for new ideas,
it can make comparisons of independent implementations more
difficult.  Two different formulations of delay variation have come
into wide use in the context of active measurements.  This memo
examines a range of circumstances for active measurements of delay
variation and their uses, and recommends which of the two forms is
best matched to particular conditions and tasks.

Working Group Summary

This document was suggested after a talk on this topic at IETF-65.  
There was no controversy in the WG process.  Consensus was smooth.

Personnel

The document shepherd is Henk Uijterwaal ([email-masked]). Lars
Eggert ([email-masked]) has reviewed this document for the IESG.

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm