Subject: [ippm] Clearing errata 1528, RFC 2680, A One-way Packet Loss Metric for IPPM

From: Matthew J Zekauskas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 20:45:15 -0400

We've been asked to clear outstanding errata.  There is some
long-outstanding errata on RFC 2679, 2680 and 2681.  This is for RFC
2680.  To see the original (text below)
<http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?eid=1528>; guidelines for
how to clear errata on IESG documents are at
<http://www.ietf.org/IESG/STATEMENTS/iesg-statement-07-30-2008.txt>.

My proposed response is below.  If anyone feels it should be otherwise,
let me or the list know.  I will send it in to Lars for processing next
week...

--Matt

-=-=-=-

This one is clearly in IPPM purview.

The errata is valid, however it should be classified as "Technical".

I think it could cause confusion.  It is relatively minor, and hasn't
cause major problems in the last 10 years, but since it is in the
description we should post it.

I recommend the Errata be 'Verified', and the correction can stand as-is.

-----

RFC2680, "A One-way Packet Loss Metric for IPPM", September 1999

Source of RFC: Legacy

Errata ID: 1528

Status: Reported
Type: Editorial

Reported By: Wenxia Dong
Date Reported: 2008-09-24

Section 2.7 says:

The first two sources are interrelated and could result in a test
packet with finite delay being reported as lost.  Type-P-One-way-
Packet-Loss is 0 if the test packet does not arrive, or if it does
arrive and the difference between Src timestamp and Dst timestamp is
greater than the "reasonable period of time", or loss threshold.

It should say:

The first two sources are interrelated and could result in a test
packet with finite delay being reported as lost.  Type-P-One-way-
Packet-Loss is 1 if the test packet does not arrive, or if it does
arrive and the difference between Src timestamp and Dst timestamp is
greater than the "reasonable period of time", or loss threshold.

Notes:

Type-P-One-way-Packet-Loss is 1 if the test packet does not arrive,
according to section 2.4 Definition in RFC2680.