Subject: [ippm] I-D Action:draft-ietf-ippm-duplicate-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:45:01 -0700 (PDT)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : A One-Way Packet Duplication Metric
	Author(s)       : H. Uijterwaal
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ippm-duplicate-08.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2009-04-17

When a packet is sent from one host to the other, one normally
expects that exactly one copy of the packet that was sent arrives at
the destination.  It is, however, possible that a packet is either
lost or that multiple copies arrive.

In earlier work a metric for packet loss has been defined.  This
metric quantifies the case where a packet that is sent, does not
arrive at its destination within a reasonable time.  In this memo, a
metric for another case is defined: a packet is sent, but multiple
copies arrive.  The document also discusses streams and methods to
summarize the results of streams.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-duplicate-08.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 23:05:37 +0200

> This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

Just to keep everybody up to date: this is a version that addresses comments
raised in the IESG about when a packet is a duplicate and when it is not.
The idea basic idea has not changed (2 packets, receiver can take either
one, the second one does not provide any additional information), it
just has been spelled out a bit more detailed.

Henk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belgium: an unsolvable problem, discussed in endless meetings, with no
          hope for a solution, where everybody still lives happily.