Subject: Re: [ippm] ippm Digest, Vol 65, Issue 3

From: "Barry Constantine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 05:49:51 -0700

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response and offer for support.

Can you tell me a little bit about your background and any experiences
you have had with the need for TCP layer throughput testing?

I am in a technologist role for the test and measurement division of
JDSU.  I do system level work to define new IP testing capabilities for
our products.  We recently released Wirespeed TCP test capability
(stateful) in our product; operators like it a lot but really want an
RFC-2544 type test that is geared for TCP.

Thanks,

Barry

Principal Member of Technical Staff

JDSU Communication Test (formerly Acterna)

Emerging Markets and Technology Research         

One Milestone Center Court                              

Germantown, MD 20876                                         

(W) 240-404-2227                                                

(C) 301-325-7069

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Hamilton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 3:56 PM
To: Barry Constantine
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: ippm Digest, Vol 65, Issue 3

Hi Barry,
I would be very interested in contributing to this effort.

Mike Hamilton

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 15:06:07 -0700
From: "Barry Constantine" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [ippm] Testing TCP Throughput Capacity in Operator Networks
To: <[email-masked]>
Message-ID:
	<[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Hello,

I work in the communications test industry and we have seen a growing
need to verify the capacity of a network in terms of end-end TCP
throughput.  

Most network operators use RFC-2544 based Layer 3 tests to verify the
SLA of the network, but this has significant shortcomings since it does
not verify the ability of the network to carry a customer's TCP traffic.
Ideally, a TCP layer throughput test would detect issues with
prioritization, queuing, policing, etc.  This type of test could also
detect issues such as TCP Tail drop phenomena in the network.

I have spoken to several network operators and equipment providers and
there is a consistent desire to test throughput at the stateful TCP
layer, at line rate speeds (1G-10G), and to conduct these tests in a
standardized manner.

At a very high level, a standardized TCP layer throughput test would:

-        Run a latency test and automatically compute the ideal TCP
window size for the test network

-        Conduct a series of single and multiple connection TCP tests
and vary the window size to verify throughput per window size

-        Conduct QoS testing, tagging the TCP connections with
appropriate prioritization (DSCP, etc.) and test in the midst of
background traffic loads

This is a very simplified description of the test workflow.

I would like to solicit the interest of members within the IPPM
workgroup and would like to move forward with a draft document to
describe this test in detail.

Thank you,

Barry

Principal Member of Technical Staff

JDSU Communication Test (formerly Acterna)

Emerging Markets and Technology Research         

One Milestone Center Court                              

Germantown, MD 20876                                         

(W) 240-404-2227                                                

(C) 301-325-7069

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
<http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ippm/attachments/20091006/9d90fb7b
/attachment.htm>

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

End of ippm Digest, Vol 65, Issue 3
***********************************

---

From: "Mike Hamilton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 14:56:01 -0500

Hi Barry,

Mike Hamilton

Message: 1

Hello,

Thank you,

Barry

Germantown, MD 20876                                         

(W) 240-404-2227                                                

(C) 301-325-7069