Subject: [ippm] Publication request: draft-ietf-ippm-framework-compagg-08.txt

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:56:42 +0100

Lars, IESG-secretary,

The IPPM WG requests publication of draft-ietf-ippm-framework-compagg-08.txt
as in informational RFC.  The sheperd write-up for the document is below.

There is one practical problem with the document.  Sometime during the last
couple of months, one of the editors (Steven v/d Berghe) has disappeared
from the face of the earth.  We knew that he'd change affiliations soon but
now his email address started to bounce and he has not provided us with
updated coordinates.  We're trying to locate him.

I don't think this affects WG consensus and the other editor is there to
do any work required in the next steps.  We can decide later to drop him
as an editor if he continues to be MIA.

Henk

- - - -

   (1.a) Who is the Document Shepherd for this document? Has the
         Document Shepherd personally reviewed this version of the
         document and, in particular, does he or she believe this
         version is ready for forwarding to the IESG for publication?

Document sheperd is Henk Uijterwaal.  He would not have bothered to write
this note if he didn't believe that the document was ready for publication.

   (1.b) Has the document had adequate review both from key WG members
         and from key non-WG members?

About 15 WG members and other interested particpants read the document and
provided comments.  This is a very high number for an IPPM document.   I
don't see issues with the depth of the reviews.

   (1.c) Does the Document Shepherd have concerns that the document
         needs more review from a particular or broader perspective,

No.

   (1.d) Does the Document Shepherd have any specific concerns or
         issues with this document that the Responsible Area Director
         and/or the IESG should be aware of?

No, there are no such concerns.

There is a section on IPR, but this there to indicate what has to be done if the
framework is used with metrics where IPR is an issue, it doesn't constitute an
IPR disclosure as such.

   (1.e) How solid is the WG consensus behind this document? Does it
         represent the strong concurrence of a few individuals, with
         others being silent, or does the WG as a whole understand and
         agree with it?

Strong, with some 15 members of the group reviewing it.

   (1.f) Has anyone threatened an appeal or otherwise indicated extreme
         discontent?

No.

   (1.g) Has the Document Shepherd personally verified that the
         document satisfies all ID nits?

There are 2 small issues:

== Outdated reference: A later version (-12) exists of 
draft-ietf-ippm-multimetrics-11,
    in fact this document has been published as an RFC.  The reference needs to
    be updated.
== There is a comment around line 366 (section 4.1).  I believe this is is an
    editorial note that must be removed before publication.

Both comments can be addressed at the same time as IESG comments are addressed.

   (1.h) Has the document split its references into normative and
         informative? Are there normative references to documents that
         are not ready for advancement or are otherwise in an unclear
         state?

Yes.  No.

   (1.i) Has the Document Shepherd verified that the document IANA
         consideration section exists and is consistent with the body
         of the document?

Yes, it exists and no actions from the IANA are expected.

   (1.j) Has the Document Shepherd verified that sections of the
         document that are written in a formal language, such as XML
         code, BNF rules, MIB definitions, etc., validate correctly in
         an automated checker?

N/A.

   (1.k) The IESG approval announcement includes a Document
         Announcement Write-Up. Please provide such a Document
         Announcement Write-Up? Recent examples can be found in the
         "Action" announcements for approved documents. The approval
         announcement contains the following sections:

      Technical Summary
This memo describes a detailed framework for composing and aggregating metrics (both
in time and in space) originally defined by the IP Performance Metrics (IPPM) 
RFC 2330
and developed by the IETF.  This new framework memo describes the generic 
composition
and aggregation mechanisms.  The memo provides a basis for additional documents that
implement the framework to define detailed compositions and aggregations of metrics
which are useful in practice.

      Working Group Summary
The normal WG process was followed and the document has been discussed for
several years.  The document as it is now, reflects WG consensus, with nothing
special worth noticing.

      Document Quality
This is a framework document, implementations for specific situations
(spatial, temporal, etc) will be discussed in future documents.

-- 
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.
                                                                  H.L.Mencken

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 07:13:06 -1000

Hi,

> as an editor if he continues to be MIA.

the chairs can figure out with the other editors who should be listed on the first page while we do the last call.

I note that we can also simply leave him on there (give that he probably has contributed sufficiently in the past?) and I will do an "AD override" if he remains unresponsive during AUTH48.

Lars

---

From: Al Morton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:43:15 -0500

I just found Steven on LinkedIn!
He's at AlcaLu now,
Al

At 12:13 PM 12/3/2009, Lars Eggert wrote:
>the chairs can figure out with the other editors who should be 
>listed on the first page while we do the last call.
>
>I note that we can also simply leave him on there (give that he 
>probably has contributed sufficiently in the past?) and I will do an 
>"AD override" if he remains unresponsive during AUTH48.
>
>Lars
>
>_______________________________________________
>ippm mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:44:35 +0100

> I just found Steven on LinkedIn!

Good, I've sent him a note asking if he wants to be on page 1 and if
so, for new coordinates.

Henk

>> the chairs can figure out with the other editors who should be listed 
>> on the first page while we do the last call.
>>