Subject: [ippm] WG interest in draft-constantine-ippm-tcp-throughput-tm-00.txt

From: Henk Uijterwaal <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 12:14:08 +0100

IPPM group,

In Hiroshima, Barry presented possible new work on

   TCP Throughput Testing Methodology
   http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-constantine-ippm-tcp-throughput-tm-00.txt

We'd like to know if you feel that this is work that the IPPM group
should pick up and, if so, who is interested to contribute to this
document.   Please post your thoughts before January 4, 2010.

Matt & Henk

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.
                                                                  H.L.Mencken

---

From: "Mike Hamilton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:31:01 -0600

I fully support this work and am interested in contributing.

Thanks!
Mike Hamilton

-----Original Message-----
From: Henk Uijterwaal [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 5:14 AM
To: IETF IPPM WG
Subject: [ippm] WG interest
indraft-constantine-ippm-tcp-throughput-tm-00.txt

IPPM group,

 

Matt & Henk

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------
Henk Uijterwaal                           Email:
henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.xs4all.nl/~henku
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------

H.L.Mencken

---

From: Gilles Forget <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 15:35:36 -0500

IPPM group,

First I would like to congratulate Matt & Henk for all the efforts made
so far and I confirm my strong support for Barry's TCP-troughput testing
draft.

I have been involved in data communications since the TTY days while I
was working for Bell Canada. For a little more than a year now, I have
been working as an independant consultant in telecommunications, mainly
on the internetworking side. I can assure you that there is a real need
for TCP testing. When network providers were only involved at the
physical layer, the rules were clearly defined either by CCITT later
ITU-T, or by ANSI and BELLCORE later TELCORDIA in North-America.
Although, as soon as the network providers started to get involved at
layer 2 of the OSI model with Frame-Relay and ATM protocols, the
situation became confused and finger pointing took place more and more.
In our days, most network providers are involved at layer 3 with IP,
IP-VPN and MPLS network services. Finger pointing is still an issue and
is getting very counterproductive everywhere on the planet.

I am no PhD, although I would be more than happy to bring my modest
contribution based on actual field experience in business corporate
networks. I could contribute by making sure that the eventual
recommendations are applicable to measure performance in real networks.

Thanks,
Gilles Forget, CCNP.   

-- 
Gilles Forget, CCNP
T : 450.473.5718
C : 514.895.8212
@ : [email-masked]

---

From: Vinayak Hegde <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 13:39:39 +0530

> document.   Please post your thoughts before January 4, 2010.

I think IPPM should pick this up. This is an important area that needs
to be addressed and I will be happy to contribute to the progress of
this draft as a reviewer.

Regards
Vinayak