Subject: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-loss-episode-metrics-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:00:04 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Loss Episode Metrics for IPPM
	Author(s)       : Nick Duffield
                          Al Morton
                          Joel Sommers
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ippm-loss-episode-metrics-03.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2011-10-27

   The IETF has developed a one way packet loss metric that measures the
   loss rate on a Poisson probe stream between two hosts.  However, the
   impact of packet loss on applications is in general sensitive not
   just to the average loss rate, but also to the way in which packet
   losses are distributed in loss episodes (i.e., maximal sets of
   consecutively lost probe packets).  This draft defines one-way packet
   loss episode metrics, specifically the frequency and average duration
   of loss episodes, and a probing methodology under which the loss
   episode metrics are to be measured.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-loss-episode-metrics-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ippm-loss-episode-metrics-03.txt

---

From: Daniel Genin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:54:00 -0400

Hello,

I am assuming that anyone is welcome to submit comments on the above draft.

Line 327 "geometric distributed" should be "geometrically distributed", 
I believe.

Line 494 "results is" should be "results in"

Line 545 "which to select" should be "wish to select"

Line 580 "is a follows" should be "is as follows"

Line 632 "for each ..." beginning the paragraph should be capitalized.

Line 706 "proto metric" should be "proto-metric"

Line 732 In mathematics it is customary to use { and } to enclose sets 
rather than ( and ); is the latter notation also standard?

Line 738 "L1,,,,,Ln" should be "L1,...,Ln" (maybe?)

Line 748 see line 738 comment

Line 751 The first parenthesis in the formula is unmatched

Line 764 see line 738 comment

Section 5.3
It would be nice to include a plain-english explanation of what the 
bi-packet-loss-episode-duration-number proto-metric is supposed to 
measure. Trying to infer its intended meaning from the formula in 5.3 is 
difficult. What is the significance of the factor of 2 in the 
definition? The meaning of the ratio is also not immediately clear.

Line 768 The denominator of the formula, which according to the text 
above is the bi-packet-loss-episode-duration-number differs from its 
definition in the previous section. The bracketing also leaves it 
unclear whether n divides the whole fraction or only the denominator; 
the former would be the correct interpretation.

One other thing, does the precision of the time stamping/measuring 
mechanism need to be specified for completeness?

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Daniel Genin

On 10/27/2011 3:00 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> ippm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm
> .
>