Subject: [ippm] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-mornulo-ippm-registry-columns-00.txt

From: marcelo bagnulo braun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 18:48:16 +0200

Hi,

After further discussion with several folks, we have produced yet two 
other drafts, namely draft-mornulo-ippm-registry-columns and 
draft-mornulo-ippm-registry.

- one draft (draft-mornulo-ippm-registry-00) uses the RFC6390 template 
in a strict manner.

- the other draft (draft-mornulo-ippm-registry-columns-00) adapts the 
RFC6390 into something that may be more appropriate for a registry 
template (as opposed to a metric template)

In particular some concerns that were raised during the discussions were:

  - Measurement Description is really the Measurement Definition
  - Measurement Points are really Run-time parameters (column not needed)
  - it's fine to have guidance on measurement timing and clock sync in 
an RFC
    (but not needed in the registry), so Measurement Timing column not 
needed.

I personally fine with either of them and it think it is much more 
important to agree and move forward than the differences between the two 
drafts.

Comments?

Regards, marcelo

-------- Mensaje original --------
Asunto: 	New Version Notification for 
draft-mornulo-ippm-registry-columns-00.txt
Fecha: 	Mon, 30 Sep 2013 09:45:38 -0700
De: 	[email-masked]
Para: 	Al Morton <[email-masked]>, Philip Eardley 
<[email-masked]>, Marcelo Bagnulo <[email-masked]>, Al C. 
Morton <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-mornulo-ippm-registry-columns-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Marcelo Bagnulo and posted to the
IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-mornulo-ippm-registry-columns
Revision:	 00
Title:		 A(nother) Registry for Performance Metrics
Creation date:	 2013-09-30
Group:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 13
URL:             http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mornulo-ippm-registry-columns-00.txt
Status:          http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mornulo-ippm-registry-columns
Htmlized:        http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mornulo-ippm-registry-columns-00

Abstract:
    This memo investigates a scheme to organize registry entries,
    especially those defined in RFCs prepared in the IP Performance
    Metrics (IPPM) Working Group of the IETF, and applicable to all IETF
    metrics.  Three aspects make IPPM metric registration difficult: (1)
    Use of the Type-P notion to allow users to specify their own packet
    types. (2) Use of flexible input variables, called Parameters in IPPM
    definitions, some which determine the quantity measured and others
    which should not be specified until execution of the measurement. (3)
    Allowing flexibility in choice of statistics to summarize the results
    on a stream of measurement packets.  Specifically, this memo proposes
    a way to organize registry entries into columns that are well-
    defined, permiting consistent development of entries over time.
    Also, this fosters development of registry entries based on existing
    reference RFCs for performance metrics, and requires expert review
    for every entry before IANA action.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat