Subject: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 14:09:04 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Model Based Bulk Performance Metrics
        Authors         : Matt Mathis
                          Al Morton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-02.txt
	Pages           : 42
	Date            : 2014-02-14

Abstract:
   We introduce a new class of model based metrics designed to determine
   if an end-to-end Internet path can meet predefined transport
   performance targets by applying a suite of IP diagnostic tests to
   successive subpaths.  The subpath-at-a-time tests are designed to
   accurately detect if any subpath will prevent the full end-to-end
   path from meeting the specified target performance.  Each IP
   diagnostic test consists of a precomputed traffic pattern and a
   statistical criteria for evaluating packet delivery.

   The IP diagnostics tests are based on traffic patterns that are
   precomputed to mimic TCP or other transport protocol over a long path
   but are independent of the actual details of the subpath under test.
   Likewise the success criteria depends on the target performance and
   not the actual performance of the subpath.  This makes the
   measurements open loop, eliminating nearly all of the difficulties
   encountered by traditional bulk transport metrics.

   This document does not fully define diagnostic tests, but provides a
   framework for designing suites of diagnostics tests that are tailored
   the confirming the target performance.

   By making the tests open loop, we eliminate standards congestion
   control equilibrium behavior, which otherwise causes every measured
   parameter to be sensitive to every component of the system.  As an
   open loop test, various measurable properties become independent, and
   potentially subject to an algebra enabling several important new
   uses.

   Interim DRAFT Formatted: Fri Feb 14 14:07:33 PST 2014

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/