Subject: [ippm] Last Call: <draft-ietf-ippm-ipsec-08.txt> (IKEv2-based Shared Secret Key for O/TWAMP) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 07:26:09 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the IP Performance Metrics WG (ippm)
to consider the following document:
- 'IKEv2-based Shared Secret Key for O/TWAMP'
  <draft-ietf-ippm-ipsec-08.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-02-09. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The O/TWAMP security mechanism requires that both the client and
   server endpoints possess a shared secret.  Since the currently-
   standardized O/TWAMP security mechanism only supports a pre-shared
   key mode, large scale deployment of O/TWAMP is hindered
   significantly.  At the same time, recent trends point to wider IKEv2
   deployment which, in turn, calls for mechanisms and methods that
   enable tunnel end-users, as well as operators, to measure one-way and
   two- way network performance in a standardized manner.  This document
   describes the use of keys derived from an IKEv2 SA as the shared key
   in O/TWAMP.  If the shared key can be derived from the IKEv2 SA, O/
   TWAMP can support certificate-based key exchange, which would allow
   for more operational flexibility and efficiency.  The key derivation
   presented in this document can also facilitate automatic key
   management.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-ipsec/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-ipsec/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.