Subject: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 16:27:08 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Model Based Metrics for Bulk Transport Capacity
        Authors         : Matt Mathis
                          Al Morton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-05.txt
	Pages           : 46
	Date            : 2015-06-13

Abstract:
   We introduce a new class of model based metrics designed to determine
   if a complete Internet path can meet predefined bulk transport
   performance targets by applying a suite of IP diagnostic tests to
   successive subpaths.  The subpath-at-a-time tests can be robustly
   applied to key infrastructure, such as interconnects or even
   individual devices, to accurately detect if any part of the
   infrastructure will prevent any path traversing it from meeting the
   specified target performance.

   The diagnostic tests consist of precomputed traffic patterns and
   statistical criteria for evaluating packet delivery.  The traffic
   patterns are precomputed to mimic TCP or other transport protocol
   over a long path but are constructed in such a way that they are
   independent of the actual details of the subpath under test, end
   systems or applications.  Likewise the success criteria depends on
   the packet delivery statistics of the subpath, as evaluated against a
   protocol model applied to the target performance.  The success
   criteria also does not depend on the details of the subpath, end
   systems or application.  This makes the measurements open loop,
   eliminating most of the difficulties encountered by traditional bulk
   transport metrics.

   Model based metrics exhibit several important new properties not
   present in other Bulk Capacity Metrics, including the ability to
   reason about concatenated or overlapping subpaths.  The results are
   vantage independent which is critical for supporting independent
   validation of tests results from multiple Measurement Points.

   This document does not define diagnostic tests directly, but provides
   a framework for designing suites of IP diagnostics tests that are
   tailored to confirming that infrastructure can meet a predetermined
   target performance.

   Interim DRAFT Formatted: Sat Jun 13 16:25:01 PDT 2015

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Matt Mathis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2015 16:43:31 -0700

Mirja, Brian, others
I made major changes to the Introduction, including splitting it into 2
sections.   Please re-review.

Ruediger,
Some of your comments were the tip of the iceberg on much deeper problems.
However, I failed to make it through all of the rest of them.  Do not fear,
I have not lost your comments and will re-review all of them before the
next iteration.

Even though the docuemtn substantially moved forward from a structural and
clarity perspective, the most recent version has gone slightly backwards
from a nits perspective, and is not ready for re-WGLC.  I intend to submit
another draft prior to the ID cutoff.

I will be on vacation (holiday) through 6/28, with little or no
connectivity.

Thanks,
--MM--
The best way to predict the future is to create it.  - Alan Kay

Privacy matters!  We know from recent events that people are using our
services to speak in defiance of unjust governments.   We treat privacy and
security as matters of life and death, because for some users, they are.

On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 4:27 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> ippm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm
>