Subject: [ippm] Protocol Action: 'A One-Way Loss Metric for IPPM' to Internet Standard (draft-ietf-ippm-2680-bis-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 07:28:08 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'A One-Way Loss Metric for IPPM'
  (draft-ietf-ippm-2680-bis-05.txt) as Internet Standard

This document is the product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Spencer Dawkins and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-2680-bis/

Technical Summary

   This memo (RFC 2680 bis) defines a metric for one-way delay of
   packets across Internet paths.  It builds on notions introduced and
   discussed in the IPPM Framework document, RFC 2330.  This memo 
   makes RFC 2680 obsolete.

Working Group Summary

   There was nothing unusual or controversial within the working group.
   Brian Carpenter identified an issue at last call time, that standard-formed
   packets defined in RFC 2330, are only defined for IPv4. Rather than try
   to address this comment piecemeal in draft-ietf-ippm-2679-bis, 
   draft-ietf-ippm-2680-bis, and various other drafts in IPPM, the authors 
   and Brian agreed that the right way to handle IPv6 was in a revision of 
   RFC 2330 itself, and work on this revision is underway.

Document Quality

   The implementation report for RFC 2680 is available in 
   https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-implement-02.
   This draft is a minor revision of RFC 2680, being advanced
   to Internet Standard.

Personnel

   The document shepherd is Bill Cerveny.  
   The responsible area director is Spencer Dawkins.