Subject: [ippm] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-fabini-ippm-2330-time-00.txt

From: Joachim Fabini <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 10:11:05 +0200

Dear IPPM,

Al and I have prepared and submitted a new draft that seeks to update
another important aspect of RFC2330: time and timestamps. Main topics
that the draft is supposed to to tackle include
- an accurate definition (and guidelines) for host time,
- a renaming of wire time (to account for wireless networks),
- a discussion of the consequences of virtualization onto measurements.

The document is currently in an _early_ stage, summarizing
timestamp-related topics that have been identified to require an update.
The main intention of the draft is to trigger discussions following the
presentation, including the identification of possible associated topics
to be included. We have asked for a timeslot to present this work at the
IPPM meeting @ IETF94. Any input and/or opinion (either in advance to
the ippm mailing list or following the presentation) is warmly welcome.

Background: As of today, 2330-based metrics are supposed to treat host
time variations (including the ones resulting from accessing timers at
distinct protocol layers) as "measurement uncertainties". In the light
of time-critical communications we believe that this is no longer
adequate and that metric definitions can benefit from a more
accurate/differentiated host time definition. Virtualized measurement
environments are an additional challenge. Concerning the consequences of
timestamp location selection for measurements, you can find some results
in the paper cited in the draft as reference (M2M communication delay
challenges - please drop me an email if you need a copy for personal use).

regards,
Joachim (on behalf of the authors)

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-fabini-ippm-2330-time-00.txt
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 23:37:12 -0700
From: [email-masked]
To: Joachim Fabini <[email-masked]>, Al Morton
<[email-masked]>, Joachim Fabini <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-fabini-ippm-2330-time-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Joachim Fabini and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-fabini-ippm-2330-time
Revision:	00
Title:		Updates for IPPM's Framework: Timestamping and Use Cases
Document date:	2015-10-14
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		10
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fabini-ippm-2330-time-00.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fabini-ippm-2330-time/
Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fabini-ippm-2330-time-00

Abstract:
   Quality and accuracy of measurements depend on the selection of
   appropriate locations and timers for timestamp acquisition.  This
   memo updates the IP Performance Metrics (IPPM) Framework RFC 2330
   with new considerations on timers, timestamps and time-related
   definitions with particular focus on wireless networks and
   virtualized hosts.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat