Subject: [ippm] IETF IPPM WG reply to Liaison 1444 / ITU-T SG1 reply to SG11 on relevant activities on Internet Speed Measurements

From: Brian Trammell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 10:00:56 +0100

Greetings,

The IP Performance Metrics (IPPM) working group of the IETF
appreciates the opportunity to comment on methods intending
to measure Internet Speed, such as those described in the
attachments to your liaison (originating in SG 11).  This is
one of the topics which IPPM was chartered to address, and it
has proven more difficult than originally thought.

The cited proposals for International Recommendations
depend on the assumption that TCP-based measurements can meet
requirements for standardized metrics, in terms of applicability
to subpaths as well as end-to-end paths, and repeatability
across independent implementations or measurement systems.
IPPM's current work in progress (see reference below)
describes why a TCP-based approach would be unsuccessful,
due to the properties of TCP's control loop (see sections 4.0
and 4.1 of the reference below for many more details).
IPPM is currently pursuing methods of measurement which avoid
TCP's control loop, and retain the ability to measure subpaths
and complete paths in a repeatable way.

IPPM urges all members of the measurement and testing community
to carefully consider our findings and experience with
capacity measurement, and to join our work in IETF to specify
methods of measurement that avoid the pitfalls of TCP-based
testing.

Referenced Work-in-progress:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-07
Specific sections cited above:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-07#section-4

Best regards,

Brian Trammell (as chair, IETF IP Performance Metrics WG)

---

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 07:17:35 -0500

Thanks Brian.

Hiroshi and Martin, will you please forward to tsb11@itu, and Stefano?
Al

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Brian Trammell [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 4:01 AM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; MORTON, ALFRED C
> (AL)
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked] Chairs (ippm-
> [email-masked]); [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: IETF IPPM WG reply to Liaison 1444 / ITU-T SG1 reply to SG11 on
> relevant activities on Internet Speed Measurements
> 
> Greetings,
>