Subject: [ippm] IPv6 update for the IPPM Framework (New Version Notification for draft-morton-ippm-2330-stdform-typep-02.txt)

From: Joachim Fabini <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 21:05:24 +0100

Dear all,

as recommended at IETF 94 in Yokohama we have changed the title of the
draft. We feel that "IP Options and IPv6 Updates for IPPM's Active
Metric Framework: Packets of Type-P and Standard-Formed Packets" now
expresses what this draft is about.

Motivation:
Today, whenever a metric, methodology or standard uses IPv6 it is
immediately _outside_ of the scope of the IP Performance Metrics
Framework (IPPM). Two main concepts of IPPM, standard-formed packets and
packet Type-P must be updated for the IPPM to support IPv6 and other
network-layer features and fields that we use today (ECN, DSCP, v6
extension headers, ...)

RFC2330 postponed IPv6 coverage for "later" (see
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2330#section-15) for details. This
"later" to expand the IPPM framework is _NOW_. We must extend some
concepts to cover developments at network layer since 1989.

Please read the draft and provide feedback/support on the IPPM mailing
list. As agreed in the IPPM session at IETF94, the IPPM chairs plan to
start a call for adoption as IPPM WG item on the IPPM mailing list. This
call should end _before_ the start of IETF95. Main prerequisite is that
some people read the draft and indicate support on the IPPM mailing list.

thanks,
Joachim (for the authors)
PS: As discussed post-IPPM at IETF94, I'm cc-ing this posting to the
LMAP mailing list, too. I suspect the LMAP framework to be one of the
main candidates in urgent need of this update. However, please provide
feedback concerning this draft to the ippm mailing list such that we
avoid splitting discussions onto separate mailing lists.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-morton-ippm-2330-stdform-typep-02.txt
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 10:30:15 -0800
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>, Al Morton
<[email-masked]>, Michael S. Ackermann <[email-masked]>, Nalini
Elkins <[email-masked]>, Vinayak Hegde
<[email-masked]>, Joachim Fabini <[email-masked]>,
Joachim Fabini <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-morton-ippm-2330-stdform-typep-02.txt
has been successfully submitted by Joachim Fabini and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-morton-ippm-2330-stdform-typep
Revision:	02
Title:		IP Options and IPv6 Updates for IPPM's Active Metric Framework:
Packets of Type-P and Standard-Formed Packets
Document date:	2015-12-11
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		11
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-morton-ippm-2330-stdform-typep-02.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-morton-ippm-2330-stdform-typep/
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-morton-ippm-2330-stdform-typep-02
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-morton-ippm-2330-stdform-typep-02

Abstract:
   This memo updates the IP Performance Metrics (IPPM) Framework RFC
   2330 with new considerations for measurement methodology and testing.
   The memo updates the definition of standard-formed packets in RFC
   2330 to include IPv6 packets.  It also augments distinguishing
   aspects of packets, referred to as Type-P for test packets in RFC
   2330.

   Two points (at least) are worthwhile discussing further: extent of
   coverage for 6LO and IPv6 Header Compression, and the continued need
   to define a "minimal standard-formed packet".

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat