Subject: [ippm] RFC 7717 on IKEv2-Derived Shared Secret Key for the One-Way Active Measurement Protocol (OWAMP) and Two-Way Active Measurement Protocol (TWAMP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 14:33:32 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7717

        Title:      IKEv2-Derived Shared Secret Key for 
                    the One-Way Active Measurement Protocol (OWAMP) 
                    and Two-Way Active Measurement Protocol (TWAMP) 
        Author:     K. Pentikousis, Ed.,
                    E. Zhang, Y. Cui
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 34960
        Updates:    RFC 4656, RFC 5337

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ippm-ipsec-11.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7717

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7717

The One-Way Active Measurement Protocol (OWAMP) and Two-Way Active
Measurement Protocol (TWAMP) security mechanisms require that both
the client and server endpoints possess a shared secret.  This
document describes the use of keys derived from an IKEv2 security
association (SA) as the shared key in OWAMP or TWAMP.  If the shared
key can be derived from the IKEv2 SA, OWAMP or TWAMP can support
certificate-based key exchange; this would allow for more operational
flexibility and efficiency.  The key derivation presented in this
document can also facilitate automatic key management.

This document is a product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC