Subject: [ippm] RFC 7820 on UDP Checksum Complement in the One-Way Active Measurement Protocol (OWAMP) and Two-Way Active Measurement Protocol (TWAMP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 17:52:38 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7820

        Title:      UDP Checksum Complement in the 
                    One-Way Active Measurement Protocol (OWAMP) and 
                    Two-Way Active Measurement Protocol (TWAMP) 
        Author:     T. Mizrahi
        Status:     Experimental
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       March 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 30611
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ippm-checksum-trailer-06.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7820

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7820

The One-Way Active Measurement Protocol (OWAMP) and the Two-Way
Active Measurement Protocol (TWAMP) are used for performance
monitoring in IP networks.  Delay measurement is performed in these
protocols by using timestamped test packets.  Some implementations use
hardware-based timestamping engines that integrate the accurate
transmission time into every outgoing OWAMP/TWAMP test packet during
transmission.  Since these packets are transported over UDP, the UDP
Checksum field is then updated to reflect this modification.  This
document proposes to use the last 2 octets of every test packet as a
Checksum Complement, allowing timestamping engines to reflect the
checksum modification in the last 2 octets rather than in the UDP
Checksum field.  The behavior defined in this document is completely
interoperable with existing OWAMP/TWAMP implementations.

This document is a product of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

EXPERIMENTAL: This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the
Internet community.  It does not specify an Internet standard of any
kind. Discussion and suggestions for improvement are requested.
Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC