Subject: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 16:13:47 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics of the IETF.

        Title           : Model Based Metrics for Bulk Transport Capacity
        Authors         : Matt Mathis
                          Al Morton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-08.txt
	Pages           : 50
	Date            : 2016-07-08

Abstract:
   We introduce a new class of Model Based Metrics designed to assess if
   a complete Internet path can be expected to meet a predefined Target
   Transport Performance by applying a suite of IP diagnostic tests to
   successive subpaths.  The subpath-at-a-time tests can be robustly
   applied to key infrastructure, such as interconnects or even
   individual devices, to accurately detect if any part of the
   infrastructure will prevent paths traversing it from meeting the
   Target Transport Performance.

   For Bulk Transport Capacity, the IP diagnostics are built on test
   streams that mimic TCP over the complete path and statistical
   criteria for evaluating the packet transfer statistics of those
   streams.  The temporal structure of the test stream (bursts, etc)
   mimic TCP or other transport protocol carrying bulk data over a long
   path but are constructed to be independent of the details of the
   subpath under test, end systems or applications.  Likewise the
   success criteria evaluates the packet transfer statistics of the
   subpath against criteria determined by protocol performance models
   applied to the Target Transport Performance of the complete path.
   The success criteria also does not depend on the details of the
   subpath, end systems or application.

   Model Based Metrics exhibit several important new properties not
   present in other Bulk Transport Capacity Metrics, including the
   ability to reason about concatenated or overlapping subpaths.  The
   results are vantage independent which is critical for supporting
   independent validation of tests by comparing results from multiple
   measurement points.

   This document does not define the IP diagnostic tests, but provides a
   framework for designing suites of IP diagnostic tests that are
   tailored to confirming that infrastructure can meet the predetermined
   Target Transport Performance.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 07:27:57 +0000

Dear authors,

I've read -07. As I felt -07 to be in a good shape, this time I only checked the Diffs. You've removed most of the small number of nits I found in -07. Your new text added the nits below.

I'm fine with the draft.

Regards, Ruediger

to meet or exceeded  

sw /exceeded/exceed/  (or check the text, maybe "that" needs to be used instead of "to" in some place)

----------

rate for a margional link

sw /margional/marginal/ (again, I thinks that's what meant but I am not sure)

----------

technology is available[TSO_pacing][TSO_fq_pacing

missing " " between available and [TSO_pacing], and missing "," after the latter.

----------

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: ippm [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von [email-masked]
Gesendet: Samstag, 9. Juli 2016 01:14
An: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Betreff: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-08.txt

Abstract:

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

_______________________________________________
ippm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ippm

---

From: "MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 08:10:43 -0400

Thanks for your re-review, Rüdiger.
Al

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, July 11, 2016 3:28 AM
> To: [email-masked]; MORTON, ALFRED C (AL)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: AW: [ippm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-
> 08.txt
> 
> Dear authors,
> 
> I've read -07. As I felt -07 to be in a good shape, this time I only
> checked the Diffs. You've removed most of the small number of nits I
> found in -07. Your new text added the nits below.
> 
> I'm fine with the draft.
> 
> Regards, Ruediger
> 
> 
> to meet or exceeded
> 
> Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of
> submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at
> tools.ietf.org.
>

---

From: Matt Mathis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 11:27:43 -0700

Yes, Thank you.  Your earlier reviews really made a huge difference too.
They were rather painful, but we we deserved it.

Thanks,
--MM--
The best way to predict the future is to create it.  - Alan Kay

Privacy matters!  We know from recent events that people are using our
services to speak in defiance of unjust governments.   We treat privacy and
security as matters of life and death, because for some users, they are.