Subject: [ippm] Protocol Action: 'Two-Way Active Measurement Protocol (TWAMP) Data Model' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-yang-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 07:24:36 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Two-Way Active Measurement Protocol (TWAMP) Data Model'
  (draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-yang-13.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Performance Measurement Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-twamp-yang/

Technical Summary

  This document specifies a data model for client and server 
   implementations of the Two-Way Active Measurement Protocol (TWAMP).
  The TWAMP data model is described through Unified Modeling Language 
   (UML) class diagrams and formally specified using YANG.

  The Two-Way Active Measurement Protocol (TWAMP) [RFC5357] is used 
   to measure network performance parameters such as latency, bandwidth,
   and packet loss by sending probe packets and measuring their experience 
   in the network.  To date, TWAMP implementations do not come
   with a standard management framework and, as such, configuration depends 
   on proprietary mechanisms developed by the corresponding
   TWAMP vendor.  This document addresses this gap by formally specifying the 
   TWAMP data model using YANG.

Working Group Summary

  This document was presented and discussed in IETF96, IETF97, IETF98 and IETF99.  
   There has also been discussion on the email list.   

  There were questions raised as to the inclusion of TWAMP Light in this document.  
   The consensus was that TWAMP Light is not adequately specified as a protocol to 
   base a YANG model on.

Document Quality

   The document was reviewed and comments were provided in both the IETF meetings 
   and on the IPPM WG mailing list. 

   A YANG doctors review was requested for the YANG module in the document and 
   was provided by Jan Lindblad. A number of Jan's suggestions were implemented. 

   AT&T has an implementation.  Viavi was working on an implementation for testing 
   Ethernet. 

Personnel

  The Document Shepherd is Nalini Elkins.  
   The Responsible Area Director is Spencer Dawkins.

RFC Editor Note

OLD

         bit unauth-test-encrpyt-control {

NEW

         bit unauth-test-encrypt-control {

OLD 

   This section presents the YANG module for the TWAMP data model
   defined in this document.  The module imports definitions from Common
   YANG Data Types [RFC6991], and references NTPv4 Specification
   [RFC5905], Framework for IP Performance Metrics [RFC2330], Randomness
   Requirements for Security [RFC4086], OWAMP [RFC4656], TWAMP
   [RFC5357], More Features for TWAMP [RFC5618], Individual Session
   Control Feature [RFC5938], TWAMP Reflect Octets and Symmetrical Size
   Features [RFC6038], Advances Stream and Sampling Framework [RFC7312],
   IKEv2-Derived Shared Secret Key for OWAMP and TWAMP [RFC7717], and
   OWAMP and TWAMP Well-Known Port Assignments
   [I-D.ietf-ippm-port-twamp-test].

NEW

   This section presents the YANG module for the TWAMP data model
   defined in this document.  The module imports definitions from Common
   YANG Data Types [RFC6991], and references NTPv4 Specification
   [RFC5905], Framework for IP Performance Metrics [RFC2330], Randomness
   Requirements for Security [RFC4086], OWAMP [RFC4656], TWAMP
   [RFC5357], More Features for TWAMP [RFC5618], Individual Session
   Control Feature [RFC5938], TWAMP Reflect Octets and Symmetrical Size
   Features [RFC6038], Advanced Stream and Sampling Framework [RFC7312],
   IKEv2-Derived Shared Secret Key for OWAMP and TWAMP [RFC7717], and
   OWAMP and TWAMP Well-Known Port Assignments
   [I-D.ietf-ippm-port-twamp-test].

OLD

   [UML]      ISO/IEC, "Information technology - Open Distributed
              Processing - Unified Modeling Language", April 2005.

NEW

   [UML]      ISO/IEC, "Information technology - Open Distributed
              Processing - Unified Modeling Language  (UML) Version 1.4.2", 
             April 2005. ISO/IEC 19501:2005 (OMG-UML VER 1.3)