Subject: [ippm] Extending BFD for general IETF OAM extensions

From: Jeffrey Haas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 12:21:01 -0400

Please excuse this widecast.

BFD (bi-directional forwarding detection) will be meeting at IETF 105 during
the Tuesday 17:10 session.  During this session, we will be having an open
discussion regarding BFD as a potential carrier for more general OAM
functions.

Somewhat similar to other popular protocols, there's been continuing
discussion about how to pack other interesting things into BFD.  In prior
years, the BFD working group has largely kept the protocol bounded to its
core functionality.  This discussion will be to determine whether BFD is an
appropriate mechanism for such future extensions.

It is the chairs' belief that this discussion will eventually expand to
other working groups in the context of "what is OAM in IETF".  Please note
that BFD is not currently chartered for such a wide topic.

The BFD chairs would like to request interested parties to attend our
session to help inform this discussion.

The following non-working group draft may be of interest as an example of
this discussion:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mirmin-bfd-extended-01

-- Jeff & Reshad