Subject: Flavours of Login

From: "BURBRIDGE,MATTHEW (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 16:46:39 +0100

I have been reviewing 07-91 and am struggling to understand the various
flavours of login.  The one area that is really causing me concern is the
way that an initiator is able to specify that it wants to perform session
recovery.  This is required in the case that the initiator's session state
is FAILED (Q4) but the targets is LOGGED_IN (Q3) as it has not detected a
failure in the TCP connections.

As a result I have put forward the following table for discussion.  Note
that there are two proposals/methods for session recovery as I have no
particular preference but it must be explicit and not implicit!

If this has already been addressed please can someone point me in the right
direction!!

Matthew Burbridge
Senior Development Engineer
NIS-Bristol
Hewlett Packard
Telnet: 312 7010
E-mail: [email-masked]

Flavours of Login:
+-------+-------+-------+---+-------------------------------------------+
| TSID  | ISID  | CID   | X | Description                               |
+-------+-------+-------+---+-------------------------------------------+
|   0   | New   | New   | 0 | Initiator is creating a new session.      |
+-------+-------+-------+---+-------------------------------------------+
|   0   | Exist | New   | 0 | Initiator is trying to login after reboot |
+-------+-------+-------+---+-------------------------------------------+
| Exist | Exist | New   | 0 | Initiator is adding a new connection to   |
|       |       |       |   | an existing session.                      |
+-------+-------+-------+---+-------------------------------------------+
| Exist | Exist | Exist | 1 | Initiator is attempted connection         |
|       |       |       |   | reinstatement                             |
+-------+-------+-------+---+-------------------------------------------+
| Exist | Exist | New   | 1 | Initiator is attempting session recovery  |
|       |       |       |   | (Proposal A)                              |
+-------+-------+-------+---+-------------------------------------------+
|   0   | Exist | New   | 1 | Initiator is attempting session recovery  |
|       |       |       |   | (Proposal B)                              |
+-------+-------+-------+---+-------------------------------------------+