Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-monia-ips-enccrcex-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:09:46 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Common Encapsulation CRC Format
	Author(s)	: C. Monia
	Filename	: draft-monia-ips-enccrcex-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 20-Sep-01
	
This document proposes a change to the FC Common Encapsulation
specification [ENCAP] to define how a Fibre Channel CRC is instantiated
for transmission over an IP network.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-monia-ips-enccrcex-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-monia-ips-enccrcex-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-monia-ips-enccrcex-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Ralph Weber <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 07:10:24 -0500

I was concerned that this proposal would mandate behaviors that
some FCIP device will not want or need to implement. So I discussed
it offline with Charles.

We agree on the FC Encapsulation changes shown below. Unless
objections are heard, these changes (plus the FC-FS reference
in the SOF/EOF description requested at the Orange County
interim) will be added to a new revision sent to the Internet
Drafts office on Friday (10/5).

Ordering changes:

Clarify the relationship between the bits on the FC wire and the IP payload
by adding the following to section 5.1 right after figure 4:

"As shown in figure 4, the FC frame content is defined as the data between
the EOF and SOF delimiters (including the CRC) after conversion from FC-1 to
FC-2 format as specified by FC-FS [3]."

Then modify section 5.2 as follows:

"The Encapsulation Header, SOF, FC frame content, and EOF are mapped to
TCP using the big endian byte ordering, which corresponds to the standard
network byte order or canonical form [8]."

Specify the header CRC representation by modifying the last paragraph of
section 3.1 as follows:

"...the CRC field SHALL contain a CRC for words 0 to 5 of the FC
Encapsulation Header computed using the polynomial, initial value, and bit
order defined for Fibre Channel in FC-FS [3]. Using this algorithm, the
bit order of the resulting CRC corresponds to that of FC-1 layer. The
CRC transmitted over the IP network shall correspond to the equivalent value
converted to FC-2 format as specified in FC-FS."

Thanks for your consideration.

Ralph...

[email-masked] wrote:

>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Content-Type: Message/External-body;
>     name=draft-monia-ips-enccrcex-00.txt;
>     site=ftp.ietf.org;
>     access-type=anon-ftp;
>     directory=internet-drafts
>
> Content-Type: text/plain
> Content-ID:     <[email-masked]>