Subject: iscsi Rev 7.93 : text cmd & bookmarks.

From: Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:26:26 -0700

Hi Julian,

Thanks for adding the target transfer tag field to the text command
& text response. This allows for simpler indexing for targets without
having to special case the text message lookups.

Also, as you've observed and incorporated, the target transfer tag field
itself serves as a bookmark and so, the bookmark field has been removed.

One question remains however. Since the target transfer tag field serves
as a bookmark and a TTT of 0xFFFFFFFF serves as an indication that this
is a new text command (i.e. no bookmark present), of what value add is
the bookmark bit ? Why not remove the bookmark bit itself and only use
the TTT ?

Keeping both the bookmark bit and the TTT is providing 2 ways of
indicating a new text cmd. I would be in favor of removal of the
bookmark bit.

Regards,
Santosh

---

From: "Ayman Ghanem" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:55:38 -0500

I could be missing something, but I am not sure why do we have TTT in text
cmd/rsp if there MUST be only one outstanding text cmd per connection. Text
command lookup implies to me more than one outstanding cmd, but that would
be a protocol error.

-Ayman

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> Santosh Rao
> Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 1:26 PM
> To: IPS Reflector
> Subject: iscsi Rev 7.93 : text cmd & bookmarks.
>
>
> Hi Julian,
>

---

From: Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 14:20:56 -0700

Having a TTT allows the lookup of text cmd/responses to be the same as any
other cmd/rsp lookup. i.e. there is no need to special case the lookup of a
text cmd/rsp.

There will be only 1 outstanding text cmd/rsp in progress at any given time.
However, other cmds/rsps can continue in parallel with text cmd/rsp. Thus,
usage of a standard task lookup scheme like the task tags allows one to avoid
having to special case the context lookup based on cmd/rsp opcode.

- Santosh