Subject: SAM-2 LUN Level definition

From: "Sanjeev Bhagat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 14:30:40 +0200

Hello,

I was going carefully through the LUN level definition of SAM-2 specs.
Although everything seems to be fine, but i have a very basic question.

Can somebody explain me , why is the following has  been designed so.May be
I am missing something

WHY is a 4 level structure defined at all?? Except for the fact that more
devices can be connected to the same SCSI TARGET DEVICE, i dont find any
other reason for it. Moreover the way the command is proceeded further to
other LUN levels is also a bit shady in the sense that the LUN level
structure has to be modified everytime the command is sent to lower levels.

The Peripheral device addressing method does not allow for addressing scsi
LU's not on the same level.

If we choose for Device specific addressing methods then it will basically
make it not inter-operabel with all the other SCSI initiator/target devices
in the world.

Regards,
Sanjeev

---

From: Ralph Weber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 13:48:34 -0500

The dependent logical unit addressing in SAM-2 derives from
the SCSI Controller Commands (SCC-2), see:

 ftp://ftp.t10.org/t10/drafts/scc2/scc2r04.pdf

T10 feels that the model is more generally useful than just
SCC-2, which explains its presence in SAM-2.  This opinion
has not yet reached full maturity so the cloud nature of
things is not surprising.

I cannot comment on the interactions of the Peripheral
Addressing mode and iSCSI.

Ralph...

Sanjeev Bhagat wrote:

>
> * From the T10 Reflector ([email-masked]), posted by:
> * "Sanjeev Bhagat" <[email-masked]>
> *
> Hello,
>
> *
> * For T10 Reflector information, send a message with
> * 'info t10' (no quotes) in the message body to [email-masked]