Subject: iscsi rev 7.93 : Login response Status codes.

From: Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 12:02:08 -0700

Hi Julian,

A couple of comments on the login status codes (rev 7.93 Section 2.13.5
page 90 )  :

1)  Session type  | 0209 | Target does not support this type of
   Not supported |          | of session (not from this Initiator)

The above status detail can be removed, since there exist only 2 session
types, normal & discovery, & both are mandatory.

Initiator         | 0206 | Invalid SID - no more connections
SID error       |          | accepted

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Should the above read "Initiator CID error" ? I presume the above is
meant to indicate that the target cannot accept any more connections and
is rejecting a login that is attempting to add a new connection to the
session, as indicated by the presence of a new CID in the login on an
existing (ISID, TSID). If this is the case, the code should read :
"Initiator CID Error" , since this is an invalid CID.

Please clarify the intent of the above status code.

Thanks,
Santosh

---

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 05:55:18 +0300

Santosh,

Comments in text - Julo

Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>@ece.cmu.edu on 17-09-2001 22:02:08

Please respond to Santosh Rao <[email-masked]>

Sent by:  [email-masked]

To:   IPS Reflector <[email-masked]>
cc:
Subject:  iscsi rev 7.93 : Login response Status codes.

Hi Julian,

+++ Sessions are mandatory to support but can be rejected from a specific
initiator +++

+++ I've changed the text to:

   Too many      | 0206 | No more connections accepted on this SID
   connections   |      |

 CID error (e.g., CID exists already) are to be reported under 0200 +++
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,
Santosh

 - santoshr.vcf

---

From: "KRUEGER,MARJORIE (HP-Roseville,ex1)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 17:24:26 -0700

> +++ Sessions are mandatory to support but can be rejected 

Julian,
I'm not sure what you mean by this.  There is nothing I can find in the
document that states that both session types are mandatory to implement.  It
should be possible to construct "targets" that support only a discovery
session, for the purpose of "re-directs" or to construct a central "target
information server".

I would agree that "discovery" session type is mandatory to implement, but
not "normal operational session".  Furthermore, this response code should
only be returned if the initiator has requested a "normal operational
session" with a target that only supports the "discovery" session type.  It
makes no sense for a device to allow an initiator to authenticate, only to
reject a "discovery" session type.  If a target doesn't at least support a
"discovery" session type, it's not an iSCSI target...

Marj