Subject: iSCSI - Recovery Levels

From: "Julian Satran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 16:59:38 +0300

There seems to be consensus around the fact the recovery leves are good and
no
clear consensus about hpow many should there be (2 or 3).

As there is no chance to settle this until 08 gets out I suggest
intrdocucing
a generic key=value pair (RecoveryLevel) and remove the existing keys
(CommmandFailoverSupport and CommandReplaySupport).

RecoveryLevel will be defined as follows:

01   RecoveryLevel

   Use: LO
   Who can send: Initiator and Target

   RecoveryLevel=<0 to x>

   Default is 0.

   Initiator and target negotiate the recovery level supported.
   The minimum of the two values is selected.

   Recovery levels represent a combination of recovery capabilities.
   Each recovery level includes all the capabilities of the lower recovery
   levels and adds to them some new ones.

   In the recovery mechanisms descriptions some specific recovery
   capabilities are used.

   Those are mapped to levels as follows:

      0 - SessionRecovery
      1 - CommandFailoverSupport and CommandReplaySupport
      [TBD]

 Comments?

 Julo