Subject: [Ips] RFC 4171 on Internet Storage Name Service (iSNS)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 13:37:35 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4171

        Title:      Internet Storage Name Service (iSNS)
        Author(s):  J. Tseng, K. Gibbons, F. Travostino, C. Du Laney,
                    J. Souza
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       September 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      123
        Characters: 310636
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ips-isns-22.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4171.txt

This document specifies the Internet Storage Name Service (iSNS)
protocol, used for interaction between iSNS servers and iSNS
clients, which facilitates automated discovery, management, and
configuration of iSCSI and Fibre Channel devices (using iFCP
gateways) on a TCP/IP network.  iSNS provides intelligent storage
discovery and management services comparable to those found in Fibre
Channel networks, allowing a commodity IP network to function in a
capacity similar to that of a storage area network.  iSNS facilitates
a seamless integration of IP and Fibre Channel networks due to its
ability to emulate Fibre Channel fabric services and to manage both
iSCSI and Fibre Channel devices.  iSNS thereby provides value in any
storage network comprised of iSCSI devices, Fibre Channel devices
(using iFCP gateways), or any combination thereof.

This document is a product of the IP Storage Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.
_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips