Subject: [Ips] iSER use of ITT in Data_Completion_Notify

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 18:49:34 -0400

Data_Completion_Notify is used at the target to notify the completion of Data-in or Data-out. The ITT is given as one of the Input Qualifiers. But the ITT is not understood by the target. It would seem that the TTT is what should be given instead since that is understood by the target.

What am I missing?

Eddy

_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: Mike Ko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 16:44:34 -0700

ITT is used to identify a task during its execution by both the initiator
and the target.  See RFC3720.  It is for this reason that it is used as an
input qualifier in Data_Completion_Notify.

Mike

             "Eddy Quicksall"                                              
             <eddy_quicksall_i                                             
             Vivity_iSCSI@Comc                                          To 
             ast.net>                  <[email-masked]>                      
                                                                        cc 
             09/05/2006 03:49                                              
             PM                                                    Subject 
                                       [Ips] iSER use of ITT in            
                                       Data_Completion_Notify              

                                                                           

Data_Completion_Notify is used at the target to notify the completion of
Data-in or Data-out. The ITT is given as one of the Input Qualifiers. But
the ITT is not understood by the target. It would seem that the TTT is what
should be given instead since that is understood by the target.

What am I missing?

Eddy_______________________________________________
Ips mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ips

---

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 21:36:41 -0400

That is true but it would be better if the TTT were supplied for the target 
to identify the structure used for the data. That way the target does not 
need to catalog the ITT. The TTT could just be an index or a pointer that 
can be resolved quite easily.

Eddy

---

From: Mike Ko <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 21:13:24 -0700

I don't know what you mean by "the target does not need to catalog the
ITT".  Both the R2T and the SCSI Data-in PDU generated by the iSCSI layer
contained the ITT.

Mike

             "Eddy Quicksall"                                              
             <eddy_quicksall_i                                             
             Vivity_iSCSI@comc                                          To 
             ast.net>                  "Mike Ko" <[email-masked]>    
                                                                        cc 
             09/05/2006 06:36          <[email-masked]>                      
             PM                                                    Subject 
                                       Re: [Ips] iSER use of ITT in        
                                       Data_Completion_Notify              

                                                                           

Eddy

---

From: "Eddy Quicksall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 16:07:21 -0400

To answer your question, since the target does not understand the ITT it 
must catalog it so that when it is received again in the absence of the TTT, 
the target must use some algorithm (which often includes some sort of 
search) to find the task.

You are correct in what you say but what I'm trying to point out is a more 
efficient method that is available with the TTT. The TTT is also supplied in 
both the R2T. the SCSI Data-in and Data-out PDU.

Eddy