Subject: [Ipsec] Last Call: 'The Use of Galois/Counter Mode (GCM) in IPsec ESP' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:22:33 -0400

The IESG has received a request from the document authors to consider 
the following document:

- 'The Use of Galois/Counter Mode (GCM) in IPsec ESP'
   <draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-gcm-00.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2004-10-25.

The file can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipsec-ciph-aes-gcm-00.txt

_______________________________________________
Ipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec

---

From: "Scott Hollenbeck" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 13:40:00 -0400

(I'm not subscribed to the IPsec list, so this might get held up for
moderation.)

Section 8.3 says:

"For IKE Phase 2 negotiations, IANA has assigned <TBD> as the ESP
Transform Identifier for AES-GCM with an eight-byte explicit IV."

Seeing the <TBD> I would expect something in the IANA Considerations section
to describe what IANA has to do to make this assignment.  There is nothing
requested of IANA, though:

"12. IANA Considerations

   Currently, no ESP transform numbers have been assigned for use with
   the AES-GCM transform."

Some text should be added here to explicitly describe the IANA action needed
to fill in the <TBD> in section 8.3.

-Scott-