Subject: [Ipsec] ikev2-16

From: "Charlie Kaufman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 23:35:47 -0700

I just submitted revision -16 of the IKEv2 draft.

There is one editorial issue that I thought I had posted to the list,
but looking through the archive I apparently had not. I don't believe a
change is needed, but I'll post the issue now and cross my fingers. The
issue is the use of the terms "Alice" and "Bob".

Section 1.2 of the document said:

To simplify the descriptions that follow by allowing the use of
gender specific personal pronouns,
the initiator is assumed to be named "Alice"
and the responder "Bob".

As the document evolved over time, some sections talk about Alice and
Bob, but others talk about the initiator and the responder. I counted
about 30 references to Alice and Bob, but a larger number of references
to the initiator and the responder. A reviewer suggested that it would
be clearer to get rid of Alice and Bob entirely and use the more formal
language throughout. I think I agree. But it is so late in the game that
I feared that making the change would introduce actual errors and felt
it was better to leave it alone. I agreed to seek working group
consensus on that issue, but apparently I never sent the message.

I did make the following minor wording change in -16 (this is one of the
three minor editorial clarifications).

To simplify the descriptions that follow by allowing the use of
gender specific personal pronouns,
the initiator will sometimes be referred to as "Alice"
and the responder "Bob".

What do people think? Is this worth another rev?

	--Charlie

_______________________________________________
Ipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec