Subject: [Ipsec] Protocol Action: 'Internet Key Exchange (IKEv2) Protocol' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:29:37 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Internet Key Exchange (IKEv2) Protocol '
   <draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-16.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Security Protocol Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Russ Housley and Steve Bellovin.

Technical Summary

  This document describes version 2 of the Internet Key Exchange (IKE)
  protocol.  IKE is the component of IPsec used for performing mutual
  authentication and establishing and maintaining security associations.

  Version 2 of the IKE specification includes the contents of what were
  previously separate documents, including ISAKMP (RFC 2408), IKE
  version 1 (RFC 2409), the Internet DOI (RFC 2407), NAT Traversal,
  Legacy authentication, and remote address acquisition.

  Version 2 of IKE does not interoperate with version 1 of IKE.
  However, it has enough of the header format in common that both
  versions can unambiguously share the same UDP port.

Working Group Summary

  The IPsec Working Group came to rough consensus on this document.

Protocol Quality

  This document was reviewed by Russ Housley for the IESG.

RFC Editor Note

  The last paragraph of section 2 includes a typo.  Please change
  "rather then" to "rather than."

  OLD:

  ... Use of the "Hash and URL" formats rather
  then including certificates in exchanges where possible can avoid
  most problems. ...

  NEW:

  ... Use of the "Hash and URL" formats rather
  than including certificates in exchanges where possible can avoid
  most problems. ...

_______________________________________________
Ipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec

---

From: Paul Hoffman / VPNC <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:36:42 -0700

>    <draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-16.txt> as a Proposed Standard

... and there was signing and dancing in the streets!

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:42:24 -0400

> ... and there was signing and dancing in the streets!

Many, many thanks to all those who contributed towards this milestone.
I'd especially like to call out Charlie Kaufman, as editor of the
IKEv2 document, and Tero Kevinen, who spent a lot of time combing
through the document looking for internal inconsistencies and
typographical errors, and Angelos Keromytis for managing the issue
tracker.

We only have one more work item to complete, and that is RFC2401-bis.
Thanks to Karen and Steve, for making a new revision (the -03) of this
I-D available, and thanks in advance to all those who will review this
new draft and submit comments to the mailing list.  (This might be
considered a hint, except that hints are subtle.  :-)   

Russ has asked us to complete RFC2401-bis before Washington, D.C. IETF
meeting.  With just a little bit more of a push, we can finish this
document as well!

						- Ted

---

From: Karen Seo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:03:41 -0400

Ted, Barb,

Thank you for the kind words and patience.  Given that IKEv2 has been 
approved as a Proposed Standard but is waiting on 2401bis, and that 
we've put in what were hopefully the remaining major changes, do you 
want to initiate Last Call for 2401bis?

Karen