Subject: [Ipsec] traffic selector with protocol = opaque in IKEv2

From: "James Huang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:49:14 -0800

In rfc2401bis, the protocol field in a SAD entry or a SPD entry may be opaque.  However, the latest ikev2 draft does not specify how to represent opaque as the value for the protocol field in the traffic selector.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,
James Huang

_______________________________________________
Ipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec

---

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:38:38 +0200

James Huang writes:
> In rfc2401bis, the protocol field in a SAD entry or a SPD entry may
> be opaque.  However, the latest ikev2 draft does not specify how to
> represent opaque as the value for the protocol field in the traffic
> selector.  Am I missing something? 

>From draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-17.txt:

3.13.1 Traffic Selector
...
   Systems that are complying with [RFC2401bis] that wish to indicate
   "ANY" ports MUST set the start port to 0 and the end port to 65535;
   note that according to [RFC2401bis], "ANY" includes "OPAQUE".
   Systems working with [RFC2401bis] that wish to indicate "OPAQUE"
   ports, but not "ANY" ports, MUST set the start port to 65535 and
   the end port to 0.
-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: Saroop Mathur <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 12:53:14 -0800 (PST)

James,

Unlike ports, the protocol field can never be opaque. It is always a
specific value or ANY (indicated by 0)

-Saroop