Subject: [Ipsec] Requested edit to draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-17.txt

From: "Theodore Ts'o" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 23:57:07 -0400

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 03:06:49PM -0400, Russ Housley wrote:
> Ted & Barbara:
> 
> Now, I need to confirm that this is the WG consensus.

Russ: Barbara and I have conferred and in our judgement, the following
change is the WG consensus.

> Once you have done so, please send me a formal request, formatted like AUTH
> 48 input to the RFC Editor.

To the RFC editor: in order to address an interoperability issue that
was uncovered during a recent interoperability test, the following
change is needed in order to make the ESN transform mandatory instead
of optional.  

draft-ietf-ipsec-ikev2-17 is currently in EDIT status, and we would
like the following change to be made to the draft before it is
published.

Many thanks,

				Theodore Tso and Barbara Fraser
				ipsec wg chairs

----------------------------------------------------

In section 3.3.2 remove "optional in" from the ESN line, i.e. change

   Transform Type Values

                                     Transform    Used In
                                        Type
          RESERVED                        0
          Encryption Algorithm (ENCR)     1  (IKE and ESP)
          Pseudo-random Function (PRF)    2  (IKE)
          Integrity Algorithm (INTEG)     3  (IKE, AH, optional in ESP)
          Diffie-Hellman Group (D-H)      4  (IKE, optional in AH & ESP)
          Extended Sequence Numbers (ESN) 5  (Optional in AH and ESP)
          RESERVED TO IANA                6-240
          PRIVATE USE                     241-255

to

   Transform Type Values

                                     Transform    Used In
                                        Type
          RESERVED                        0
          Encryption Algorithm (ENCR)     1  (IKE and ESP)
          Pseudo-random Function (PRF)    2  (IKE)
          Integrity Algorithm (INTEG)     3  (IKE, AH, optional in ESP)
          Diffie-Hellman Group (D-H)      4  (IKE, optional in AH & ESP)
          Extended Sequence Numbers (ESN) 5  (AH and ESP)
          RESERVED TO IANA                6-240
          PRIVATE USE                     241-255

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In section 3.3.2 remove last paragraph from the description of the
Transform Type 5, i.e. change:

   For Transform Type 5 (Extended Sequence Numbers), defined Transform
   IDs are:

          Name                                Number
          No Extended Sequence Numbers       0
          Extended Sequence Numbers          1
          RESERVED                           2 - 65535

          If Transform Type 5 is not included in a proposal, use of
          Extended Sequence Numbers is assumed.

to

   For Transform Type 5 (Extended Sequence Numbers), defined Transform
   IDs are:

          Name                                Number
          No Extended Sequence Numbers       0
          Extended Sequence Numbers          1
          RESERVED                           2 - 65535

----------------------------------------------------------------------

In section 3.3.3 move ESN to mandatory types of the ESN an AH, i.e.
change:

          Protocol  Mandatory Types        Optional Types
            IKE     ENCR, PRF, INTEG, D-H
            ESP     ENCR                   INTEG, D-H, ESN
            AH      INTEG                  D-H, ESN

to

          Protocol  Mandatory Types        Optional Types
            IKE     ENCR, PRF, INTEG, D-H
            ESP     ENCR, ESN              INTEG, D-H
            AH      INTEG, ESN             D-H

_______________________________________________
Ipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:06:37 -0400

I have sent these proposed changes to the IESG for approval.  I will let 
you know if any issues arise.

Russ