Subject: RE: [Ipsec] L2TP/ IPsec

From: "Vishwas Manral" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 03:32:09 -0700

Hi,

The last sentence in the previous mail should have read: -

Should changes be made in RFC2401bis (RFC3193) for L2TP/IPsec support to
make Transport mode a MUST and Tunnel mode a MAY (or the other way
around)?

Besides RFC2401bis states that

   b) A security gateway MUST support tunnel mode and MAY support
      transport mode.  If it supports transport mode, that should be
      used only when the security gateway is acting as a host, e.g., for
      network management, or to provide security between two
      intermediate systems along a path.

Thanks,
Vishwas
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Vishwas Manral
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 3:20 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Ipsec] L2TP/ IPsec

Hi,

RFC3193, "Securing L2TP using IPsec" states that "Transport mode MUST be
supported; tunnel mode MAY be supported".

However 2401bis states that 
  "When security is
   desired between two intermediate systems along a path (vs. end-to-end
   use of IPsec), transport mode MAY be used between security gateways
   or between a security gateway and a host."

Should we actually make changes in RFC3193 for L2TP/IPsec support to
make Transport mode a MUST and Tunnel mode a MAY?

Thanks,
Vishwas

_______________________________________________
Ipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec