Subject: [Ipsec] New draft on hash use in IKE and IPsec

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 12:43:23 -0800

Greetings again. A number of my members have asked how the IPsec 
industry is affected by the the recent attacks which have reduced the 
collision resistance of MD5 and SHA-1. I have published an Internet 
Draft that discusses how IKE and IPsec use hash functions; it is now 
available at 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-ike-ipsec-hash-use-00.txt>. 
It is expected to eventually become an Informational RFC.

The draft covers the many ways in which hash functions are used, and 
say whether or not there are vulnerabilities. It is important that we 
lay out all the areas in which hashes are used, and how they are 
used, so that an outside observer can see whether or not IKE and 
IPsec need to be changed, particularly if the collision-resistance 
attacks get better (as we should expect).

I would greatly appreciate careful review of my assumptions both of 
where we use hash functions in our protocols and how they are used.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

_______________________________________________
Ipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec