Subject: [Ipsec] IKEv2bis, draft -00

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 15:29:13 -0800

Greetings again. A number of you objected to the idea of having an 
IKEv2.1 and felt that the clarifications to IKEv2 could be rolled 
into a document without having to change the version number. Based on 
that feedback, I created draft-hoffman-ikev2bis-00.txt with lots of 
help from Charlie and Pasi. See 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hoffman-ikev2bis-00.txt>.

(The IKEv2bis document completely replaces 
draft-hoffman-ikev2-1-00.txt, which is now dead, not to be revived.)

Our intention is to create a new RFC that can replace RFC 4306. 
Because there is no version number change, an implementation of this 
new spec should interoperate with an implementation of RFC 4306 as 
well as (or better than!) two different implementations of RFC 4306 
might have. We believe that implementations of this document will do 
that, although we are quite open to hearing where we might have 
gotten it wrong.

We ask that all IKEv2 implementers read this draft and see if the 
changes from RFC 4306 are all correct. They should be the same as the 
changes made in the IKEv2 Clarifications document, but they are not 
word-for-word changes, so errors might have crept in.

We are also interested in hearing suggestions for additional 
formatting changes for the document. For example, there have been 
requests to take informative material out of the Notify message 
tables and put it in the body of the document. We can do that in a 
future version of the draft, since it is just moving things around, 
not rewording.

This is a big document, but we really hope to get sufficient input on 
it. The sooner we can close out this document, the sooner we have a 
stable, interoperable IKEv2.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

_______________________________________________
Ipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec