Subject: [Ipsec] IPsec mailing list archives

From: "M Krishna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:24:13 +0530

Hi,

I am new to this list. I searched for a while and failing to find a way to download the archives of this mailing list. Could someone please let me know how to download the archives?

Thanks in advance,
Krishna
The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it may
contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments.

_______________________________________________
Ipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:21:30 +0200

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipsec/current/index.html

On Mar 19, 2007, at 1:54 PM, M Krishna wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new to this list. I searched for a while and failing to find a  
> way to download the archives of this mailing list. Could someone  
> please let me know how to download the archives?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Krishna
> contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the  
> intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution,  
> printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail  
> message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If you  
> have received this communication in error, please notify us by  
> reply e-mail immediately and permanently delete the message and any  
> attachments.
>

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:00:30 -0400

>>>>> "Yoav" == Yoav Nir <[email-masked]> writes:

 Yoav> http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipsec/current/index.html

That's not a real archive, because it isn't searchable, not
downloadable, and doesn't provide random access.  This has been
complained about in the past.  Real archiving tools are readily
available; I still don't understand why the IETF, of all places,
doesn't use them.

	paul

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:06:38 +0200

You're right, and I realized that a second after I posted.

I think that when the archives were hosted on VPNC they did have an  
option of downloading the huge text file.  Right?

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:13:18 -0400

>>>>> "Yoav" == Yoav Nir <[email-masked]> writes:

 Yoav> You're right, and I realized that a second after I posted.  I
 Yoav> think that when the archives were hosted on VPNC they did have
 Yoav> an option of downloading the huge text file.  Right?

I don't know.  All I remember is asking for archives a year or two ago
only to find out that the archive I was told about was worthless.

The really disturbing part, to put it mildly, is that this appears to
be a problem for IETF archives in general.  (At least that's the
impression I get from looking around -- such archives as the general
IETF discussions and general IETF announcements lists are done in the
same broken way.)  This makes no sense at all, since the IETF operates
primarily by its mailing lists, so meaningful archiving should
obviously be a non-negotiable requirement.

	     paul

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:11:34 +0200

Not the best solution, but you can ftp to ftp.ietf.org.  There you  
can cd ietf-mail-archive/ipsec.

This will allow you to download .mail files for the various months.