Subject: [Ipsec] Are people implementing IPcomp with IPsec?

From: Charlie Kaufman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 11:31:15 -0700

And if so, which compression algorithm are they most often using?

I believe the Microsoft implementation currently does not support
compression (though I'd be happy to hear someone contradict me on
that). In lobbying to change that, it would be helpful to know
whether any third party interoperability would be gained.

Thanks!

        --Charlie Kaufman

_______________________________________________
Ipsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 14:34:49 -0400

>>>>> "Charlie" == Charlie Kaufman <[email-masked]> writes:

 Charlie> And if so, which compression algorithm are they most often
 Charlie> using?  I believe the Microsoft implementation currently
 Charlie> does not support compression (though I'd be happy to hear
 Charlie> someone contradict me on that). In lobbying to change that,
 Charlie> it would be helpful to know whether any third party
 Charlie> interoperability would be gained.

In an earlier life I built a product that did the combination, using
LZW. 

These days, I would like to see IPsec + IPcomp.  Given intellectual
property issues, Deflate is an attractive algorithm.  It can be done
in software, of course; I don't know if there are hardware-accelerated
implementations of Deflate around.

	paul

---

From: Dan McDonald <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 14:59:05 -0400

> And if so, which compression algorithm are they most often using?

We have no IPCOMP in Solaris/OpenSolaris.

Dan

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 22:33:16 +0300

Check Point has the deflate algorithm.

---

From: Joy Latten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 14:57:59 -0500

> whether any third party interoperability would be gained.

Current Linux kernel has deflate compression algo to
be used for ipcomp with ipsec. Have not tried it though
and have no idea who is using it.

Regards,
Joy Latten

---

From: Thor Lancelot Simon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 18:48:23 -0400

> implementations of Deflate around.

Indra Networks has a number of FPGA-based products.  Raza Microelectronics
can sell you microprocessors with Deflate compression onboard, at a fairly
attractive price, too.  There are probably others.

I would personally like to see LZO or LZF compression for IPcomp
standardized -- these compressors are much, much faster in software than
Deflate and offer decent compression ratios.

Thor