Subject: [IPsec] Protocol Action: 'Using Authenticated Encryption Algorithms with the Encrypted Payload of the Internet Key Exchange version 2 (IKEv2) Protocol' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:17:15 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Using Authenticated Encryption Algorithms with the Encrypted Payload
    of the Internet Key Exchange version 2 (IKEv2) Protocol '
    <draft-black-ipsec-ikev2-aead-modes-01.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-black-ipsec-ikev2-aead-modes-01.txt

Technical Summary

    An authenticated encryption algorithm combines encryption and
    integrity into a single operation; such algorithms may also be
    referred to as combined modes of an encryption cipher or as combined
    mode algorithms.  This document describes the use of authenticated
    encryption algorithms with the Encrypted Payload of the Internet Key
    Exchange version 2 (IKEv2) protocol.

    The use of two specific authenticated encryption algorithms with the
    IKEv2 Encrypted Payload is also described; these two algorithms are
    the Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) in Galois/Counter Mode (AES
    GCM) and AES in Counter with CBC-MAC Mode (AES CCM).  Additional
    documents may describe the use of other authenticated encryption
    algorithms with the IKEv2 Encrypted Payload.

Working Group Summary

   This document is an individual submission.  A pseudo working group
    Last Call was conducted on the [email-masked] mailing list by the
    Responsible Area Director (Tim Polk).  No issues resulted from this
    pseudo WG Last Call.

Document Quality

    Versions of this document have been reviewed by Charlie Kaufman,
    Pasi Eronen, Tero Kivinen, Steve Kent and Alfred Hoenes in addition
    to the authors.

           Personnel
              Document Shepherd: David L. Black
              Responsible Area Director: Tim Polk

Personnel

    The Document Shepherd is David L. Black.  Tim Polk is the
    Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

Please make the following changes, (a) through (e):

(a) last sentence of the third paragraph of Section 1:

OLD:
The current version of ESP is version 2, ESPv2
    [RFC4303].

NEW:
The current version of ESP is version 3, ESPv3
    [RFC4303].

(b) First line of the second paragraph of Section 7.1:

OLD:
    IKEv2 makes the use of ...
                ^^^
NEW:
    IKEv2 makes use of ...

(c) First sentence of Section 7.2:

OLD:
    This section is unique to IKEv2 Encrypted Payload usage of AES GCM

NEW:
    This section is unique to the IKEv2 Encrypted Payload usage of AES
                              ^^^
(d) Section 10.1, 2nd line

Insert the missing space:
      s/AEAD_*algorithms/AEAD_* algorithms/

(e)  Section 10.2.1

OLD:
    The AEAD_AES_128_CCM_SHORT ciphertext is formed by appending the
    authentication tag provided as an output to the CCM encryption
                                             ^^
NEW:
    The AEAD_AES_128_CCM_SHORT ciphertext is formed by appending the
    authentication tag provided as an output of the CCM encryption
                                             ^^

In addition, it has been suggested that the "Conventions used in
this document" material that comes after the Abstract should be
moved to the end of Section 1 and become Section 1.1.  Whether
to do this is left to the RFC Editor's (wise) discretion.
_______________________________________________
IPsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec