Subject: [IPsec] [Fwd: I-D Action:draft-sheffer-ikev2-gtc-00.txt]

From: Yaron Sheffer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 22:42:23 +0300

Hi,

I have posted this draft as an individual, informational draft. This 
issue has been discussed on this list a few years ago, but it still 
bears some more analysis.

Thanks,

    Yaron

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	I-D Action:draft-sheffer-ikev2-gtc-00.txt
Date: 	Sun, 6 Jul 2008 09:30:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: 	[email-masked]
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Using EAP-GTC for Simple User Authentication in IKEv2
	Author(s)       : Y. Sheffer
	Filename        : draft-sheffer-ikev2-gtc-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2008-07-06

Despite many years of effort, simple username-password authentication
is still prevalent.  In many cases a password is the only credential
available to the end user.  IKEv2 uses EAP as a sub-protocol for user
authentication.  This provides a well-specified and extensible
architecture.  To this day EAP does not provide a simple password-
based authentication method.  The only existing password
authentication methods either require the peer to know the password
in advance (EAP-MD5), or are needlessly complex when used within
IKEv2 (e.g.  PEAP).  This document codifies the common practice of
using EAP-GTC for this type of authentication, with the goal of
achieving maximum interoperability.  The various security issues are
extensively analyzed.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sheffer-ikev2-gtc-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
IPsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 13:00:40 -0700

>bears some more analysis.

Just as a note: this is *not* a WG work item. It's an IPsec-related 
draft that people here should know about. Yaron and I are putting 
together some materials for the WG now, particularly a proposed 
agenda for our f2f meeting.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium