Subject: [IPsec] Fwd: I-D Action:draft-eronen-ipsec-ikev2-ipv6-config-05.txt

From: Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:56:04 +0100

Folks,

For various reasons I wasn't able to submit as a WG draft a -00 of the 
IPv6 configuration for IKEv2 draft before Monday's cutoff, thus I 
submitted it yesterday as a revision (-05) of Pasi's initial draft.

Your comments are welcome. The changes are:

- decoupling of link and interface creation from IKEv2 message exchange.

- possibility for an IKEv2 implementation to delay removal of the IPv6 
addresses and prefixes for a period of time to allow upper layer 
protocol communications (e.g., a TCP connection) to survive an IKE SA 
re-authentication that would use the same addresses and prefixes.

- recommendation that a client includes both the INTERNAL_IP6_LINK and 
the INTERNAL_IP6_ADDRESS attribute to handle the case where the VPN 
gateway does not support the extended IPv6 configuration mechanism. 
Along with that specifies that the INTERNAL_IP6_ADDRESS must be ignore 
by a gateway when the INTERNAL_IP6_LINK attribute is present and 
supported by the gateway.

- changed the INTERNAL_IP6_LINK attribute to contain the *client* link 
local interface identifier, as a suggestion when sent by client, and as 
assignment when sent by gateway. Along with that, specification that 
that the gateway must choose for itself a link-local interface 
identifier different from that of the client, or fail the IPv6 address 
assingnment with NOTIFY payload with the INTERNAL_ADDRESS_FAILURE 
message.

- specified that in the Prefix field of the INTERNAL_IP6_PREFIX, the low 
order bits of the prefix field which are not part of the prefix must  
be set to zero by the sender and must be ignored by the receiver.

- Some editorials.

--julien

Subject: I-D Action:draft-eronen-ipsec-ikev2-ipv6-config-05.txt
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:45:01 -0700 (PDT)
List-Id: Internet Draft Announcements only <i-d-announce.ietf.org>

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : IPv6 Configuration in IKEv2
	Author(s)       : P. Eronen, et al.
	Filename        : draft-eronen-ipsec-ikev2-ipv6-config-05.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2008-10-28

When IKEv2 is used for remote VPN access (client to VPN gateway), the
gateway assigns the client an IP address from the internal network
using IKEv2 configuration payloads.  The configuration payloads
specified in RFC 4306 work well for IPv4, but make it difficult to
use certain features of IPv6.  This document describes the
limitations of current IKEv2 configuration payloads for IPv6, and
explores possible solutions that would allow IKEv2 to set up full-
featured virtual IPv6 interfaces.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eronen-ipsec-ikev2-ipv6-config-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
_______________________________________________
IPsec mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipsec