Subject: [IPsec] Hash/URL payload handling

From: Christopher Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 16:23:09 -0400

Section 3.6 of RFC 4306 describes the "Hash and URL" form of certificate 
payloads, including the following text:

   Implementations MUST be capable of being configured to send and
   accept up to four X.509 certificates in support of authentication,
   and also MUST be capable of being configured to send and accept the
   first two Hash and URL formats (with HTTP URLs). 

Can I read "HTTP" literally?  In other words, is it safe to assume that 
IKE implementations are not expected to also support HTTPS URLs here as 
well?   Given the public nature of the content to be retrieved, it seems 
logical that straight HTTP is sufficient, but I'd like to verify the 
assumption.

Thanks,

Chris Meyer

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:49:26 -0700

At 4:23 PM -0400 3/24/09, Christopher Meyer wrote:
>Section 3.6 of RFC 4306 describes the "Hash and URL" form of certificate payloads, including the following text:
>
>Can I read "HTTP" literally?  In other words, is it safe to assume that IKE implementations are not expected to also support HTTPS URLs here as well?

Correct.
\

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium