Subject: [IPsec] Error on RFC 4868 section 2.6.2.3

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 16:13:08 +0300

I was adding the RFC4868 test vectors to our code and noticed there is
an error in the section 2.6.2.3 test vectors. The last SHA512 test
vector has one extra line for the key. The key in the RFC is:

   Test Case AUTH512-4:
   Key =          0a0b0c0d0e0f10111213141516171819
                  0102030405060708090a0b0c0d0e0f10
                  1112131415161718191a1b1c1d1e1f20
                  2122232425262728292a2b2c2d2e2f30
                  3132333435363738393a3b3c3d3e3f40  (64 bytes)

As you can clearly see the key is not 64 bytes as is said in the end,
but is 80 bytes. On the other hand you can also see that the
"0a0b0c0d0e0f10111213141516171819" line in the key does not match the
other similar test vectors. If the test vector is changed so that key
is 64 bytes from 01 to 40 then the end results given in the RFC are
correct. I.e. the correct key for the AUTH512-4 test is:

   Test Case AUTH512-4:
   Key =          0102030405060708090a0b0c0d0e0f10
                  1112131415161718191a1b1c1d1e1f20
                  2122232425262728292a2b2c2d2e2f30
                  3132333435363738393a3b3c3d3e3f40  (64 bytes)
-- 
[email-masked]

---

From: "Sheila Frankel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 09:58:38 -0400

Thanks, Tero. I ran the test cases, but apparently I missed that. Do you
know if there's any procedure for reporting errata in RFCs?

Sheila

-----Original Message-----
From: Tero Kivinen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2009 9:13 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Error on RFC 4868 section 2.6.2.3

   Test Case AUTH512-4:

   Test Case AUTH512-4:

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 08:18:28 -0700

>know if there's any procedure for reporting errata in RFCs?

See www.rfc-editor.org.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium